History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory and Adjoining Garden

A Grade II Listed Building in Myddle, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8083 / 52°48'29"N

Longitude: -2.7912 / 2°47'28"W

OS Eastings: 346764

OS Northings: 323709

OS Grid: SJ467237

Mapcode National: GBR 7G.W0J3

Mapcode Global: WH8B7.3N4Y

Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Adjoining Garden

Listing Date: 27 May 1953

Last Amended: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366806

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260092

Location: Myddle and Broughton, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Myddle, Broughton and Harmer H

Built-Up Area: Myddle

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Myddle St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Myddle

Listing Text

SJ 4623-4723 MYDDLE C.P. MYDDLE

15/97 The Old Rectory
27.5.53 and adjoining garden
wall (formerly
listed as The Rectory)

GV II

House, latterly rectory, now house, and adjoining garden wall. Circa
1747 with early to mid-C19 alterations and additions. Red brick with
sandstone dressings, partly rendered; slate roofs. Early C18 range
with parallel early C19 range behind. 2 storeys and attic over basement.
Chamfered stone plinth, wooden dentil eaves cornice, and parapeted
gable ends with moulded stone kneelers and copings. 3 eaves dormers
with 2-light wooden casements and triangular-pedimented gables. Front
range with integral brick end stacks and integral brick stack at rear;
2 stacks to addition at rear. 3 bays; sashes without glazing bars
(probably C18 with glazing bars removed), with painted stone cills
and painted stone lintels with raised triple keystones. Central ground-
floor window replacing door (see straight joints beneath) with painted
wooden raised triple keystone. Left-hand return front with full-height
canted bay to rear range; right-hand return front has pair of early
C19 half-glazed doors with margin lights. Section of stone coped red
brick garden wall adjoining at rear has probably reset round archway
with moulded stone architrave, and reset datestone superscribed:
Interior: largely remodelled in the early to mid-C19. L
Entrance hall divided by 3 segmental arches. 3-flight R E
rectangular-well cantilevered stone staircase with landings, 1711
open string, cast-iron balustrade with husk-type balusters,
moulded handrail, and curtail with columnar foot newel. Landing with
continued balustrade, 2 large arches, and rectangular top light. Early
C19 dog-leg wooden back staircase with closed string, stick balusters,
turned newels, and ramped handrail. 6-panelled doors throughout with
moulded architraves. D. Parkes, writing in 1805, says that there was
the following inscription against the east wall of the chancel of the
church of St. Peter (q.v.): "The chancel and parsonage house was rebuilt
by Dr. Egerton Leigh, A.D. 1747". D. H. S. Cranage, An Architectural Account
of the Churches of Shropshire, The Appendix, p.1000.


Listing NGR: SJ4676423709

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.