This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.874 / 52°52'26"N
Longitude: -2.4098 / 2°24'35"W
OS Eastings: 372511
OS Northings: 330807
OS Grid: SJ725308
Mapcode National: GBR 7Y.QWPV
Mapcode Global: WH9CB.Y1M0
Entry Name: Cheswardine Hall, Entrance Forecourt Walls and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 25 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366821
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260156
Location: Cheswardine, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Cheswardine
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Cheswardine St Swithun
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 73 SW
4/141 Cheswardine Hall, Entrance,
forecourt walls and
Country House. Started 1875 to replace an earlier house for C Donaldson Hudson.
Architect unknown. Red brick with ashlar quoins and dressings; tiled roofs.
Elizabethan Revival style with an asymmetrical plan, basically rectangular but with
cross-wing to right and 2 service ranges to left. 2 storeys and attics, with
strings to each floor; irregular gabled frontage and varied roofline; although the
principal rooms are to the centre and right, the composition is balanced to the left
by the subordinate rooms, making the low 4-storey tower-porch with its balustrated
parapet roughly central. Mullion and transom windows of 2 and 3 lights, cornices to
attic windows, moulded range copings and finials to the copings; linked octagonal
chimneys in pairs and threes picturesquely disposed to the main, right-hand, part and
more regular to the left hand part. Set back to right are 3 windows below and gable,
a minor bay below a dormer (now with metal fire-escape from 1st floor) and then comes
the projecting gabled wing; to the left is a lower part, flush with the porch with
2 gabled half-dormers, a minor gable (to the back stairs) and a lower 3-bay projecting
gabled wing linked by a curved gable. Classical partico to entrance with paired Doric
columns and strapwork parapet, rounded 5-light stone bar window above. Return to
right (south) equally gabled and varied. The principal feature is the ground floor
bay to left of centre.
Interior: panelled entrance hall leads to top-lit stair hall approached by steps and
skav doorway which suggests an earlier core (courtyard) at this point. Most of the
decoration (panelling and ceilings) is of late C16/early C17 type with strapwork etc,
but those are strong Queen Anne elements - in particular the rooms and the principal
baroque library with its flutted pilasters and plaster wreath on the ceiling with
high relief fruit and flowers; the best ceiling is in the drawing room. On the
first floor, one of the bedrooms has Adam-Revival ceiling decoration and chimney
piece. In general the chimney pieces are of good quality mostly in C18 English
and French styles. One of the most spectacular features is the quoin-vaults cross-
axis distribution corridor which terminates in an angled bay-window seat.
Entrance forecourt: the house front is defined by low brick walls and 2 sets of
rusticated brick piers with stone dressings abd bell-finials; to the left an taller
reverse quadrant walls with further gate-piers to the back drive. Impression-gardens
particularly walled garden to N.W with clipped yews and Japanese garden to south.
Peter Reid; Burke's and Saville's Guide to Country Houses (vol II 1080; BOE Building
Accounts in Shropshire Record Offices.
Listing NGR: SJ7251130807
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings