History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Court House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton upon Tern, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8947 / 52°53'40"N

Longitude: -2.4766 / 2°28'35"W

OS Eastings: 368031

OS Northings: 333129

OS Grid: SJ680331

Mapcode National: GBR 7V.PQY3

Mapcode Global: WH9C3.XHTR

Entry Name: The Court House

Listing Date: 20 August 1971

Last Amended: 25 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366843

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260277

Location: Sutton upon Tern, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Sutton upon Tern

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Little Drayton Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Market Drayton

Listing Text

SUTTON UPON TERN C.P. NEWPORT ROAD (west
SJ 63 SE side)

3/120 Nos. 1, 2 and 3, The
20.8.71 Court House (Formerly
listed as Court House,
Pell Wall)

- II

Stable block and Coach house, latterly garaging, now divided into 3 houses.
Circa 1822-8, by Sir John Soane. Painted brick. Hipped graded slate roofs
with lead flats. Central hipped-roofed 3-bay block with set-back 2-bay links to
flanking hipped-roofed 2-bay pavilions. 2 storeys. Central painted stone
stack consisting of 4 square shafts with continuous base and cornice, separate
tapered square chimneypots and clock to front. Painted stone stacks over
end pavilions consisting of 2 square shafts with round-arched link, continuous
base and cornice, and separate tapered square chimneypots. 1:2:3:2:1 bays;
round-arched margin-light glazing bar sashes. Ground-floor C20 three-light
casements to link blocks, replacing former garage doorways (see lintels and
straight joints in brickwork beneath). Central round-arched entrance with C20
glazed doorway and round-arched doorway in right-hand pavilion also with C20
glazed door. Left-hand pavilion with C20 glazed door in round-arched doorway to
right and blind round-arched doorway to left. Left-and right-hand return fronts
of 2 bays. One storey pyramidal-roofed blocks at rear of end pavilions with round-
arched 3-light wooden casements, that in left-hand pavilion with small-paned
tympanum. Interiors not inspected. This was formerly the stable block and coach
house for Pell Wall (q.v.). The links were formerly only of one storey. The
first-floor was added to the left-hand link c.1900 and to the right-hand link
in the late C19 (see old photographs and 1967 sale documents). Soane's drawings
of the former service block (now rebuilt) at Pell Wall show a stack similar to
those on the outer pavilions of the stable block, with 2 square shafts connected
by a round arch. This stable block and coach house was replaced by a new building
to the south (q.v.) in 1902. Couzins/Powney Collection and National Motor
Museum, c.1911 photograph.


Listing NGR: SJ6803133129

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.