History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yew Tree House

A Grade II Listed Building in Leighton and Eaton Constantine, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6515 / 52°39'5"N

Longitude: -2.5834 / 2°35'0"W

OS Eastings: 360628

OS Northings: 306128

OS Grid: SJ606061

Mapcode National: GBR BR.62P1

Mapcode Global: WH9D7.9M15

Entry Name: Yew Tree House

Listing Date: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258871

Location: Leighton and Eaton Constantine, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Leighton and Eaton Constantine

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Leighton-under-Wrekin St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Leighton

Listing Text

LEIGHTON AND EATON GARMSTON
SJ 60 NW
CONSTANTINE C.P.
2/87 Yew Tree House
GV II

Farmhouse, now house. Late C16, extended 1622 (datestone) with later
additions and alterations. Timber framed on brick plinth with painted
brick infill, machine tile roof. Original plan a hall of 2½ framed
bays with 2-bay cross-wing projecting to left; twin-gabled addition
of 1622 in angle between, mid-C19 brick addition at right-angles to
rear. 2 storeys; framing: rectangular panels, 3 from cill
to wall-plate with long straight tension braces, V-struts from collar
to front gable of cross-wing, larger panels to C17 part; irregular
fenestration, late C19 and C20 casements, one on first floor to each
gable and on ground floor to left and right gables, late C1.9 gabled
timber framed porch to centre gable with C20 outer door; prominent
red brick ridge stack to left of hall range, diamond-shaped datestone
(1622) to centre gable. Interior: chamfered spine beams with ogee
stops to 1622 part; inglenook fireplace beneath hall stack has
chamfered wooden lintel and a stone inscribed "JOHN HIGGINSON/
EDWARD JOHNSON/LAYD THIS STON/1622".


Listing NGR: SJ6062806128

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.