History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mansion House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ford, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7191 / 52°43'8"N

Longitude: -2.8724 / 2°52'20"W

OS Eastings: 341171

OS Northings: 313850

OS Grid: SJ411138

Mapcode National: GBR BC.1PJD

Mapcode Global: WH8BK.VXDB

Entry Name: Mansion House

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258963

Location: Ford, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ford

Built-Up Area: Ford

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Ford

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Cardeston

Listing Text

SJ 4013-4113 FORD C.P. FORD

13/58 Mansion House
29.1.52

GV II*

House, latterly farmhouse. Dated 1779 (rainwater head), for Francis Waring;
early C17 core with early C18 alterations and additions. Brick with
grey sandstone dressings; timber framed core; 2-span slate roof, hipped
with graded slates to front. Double-range L-plan; C17 range of 3 framed
bays with early C18 wing at rear and parallel 1779 range to front.
2 storeys and 2 storeys and attic. Chamfered stone plinth, first-floor
cill band, frieze and moulded cornice, parapet with moulded stone coping,
and triangular pediment over centre 3 bays with stone shield and flanking
husk festoons in tympanum; pair of brick lateral stacks at rear of front
range, brick ridge stack off-centre to left of rear range and integral
brick end stack to rear wing. 3:3:3 bays, centre slightly projecting;
glazing bar sashes with stone cills and gauged brick heads, central
first-floor window with fluted scrolled cill brackets, lugged moulded
architrave, and stepped triple keystone with oval paterae; 3 steps up
to 6-panelled door (lower flush) with moulded architrave, and doorcase
consisting of unfluted three quarter columns with acanthus capitals,
fluted frieze with amphorae over columnms, and triangular pediment.
4-bay left-hand return front with blind windows and central C18 downpipe
with dated moulded rainwater head; 2-bay right-hand return front with
segmental-headed blind windows. Rear gable end has stone-coped parapeted
gable-end to right with blind circular window in tympanum and three
C17 timber-framed dormers in valley with 2-light leaded casements, moulded
architraves and cornices, and triangular pedimented gables. Rear wing with
dentilbrick eaves cornice and stone-coped parapeted gable end. Interior:
front range with complete late C18 decoration: entrance hall has cantilevered
4-flight square-well staircase with open string, shaped brackets,
2 stick balusters to each tread, turned newel posts, moulded ramped
handrail and curtail with columular newel post and wreathed handrail;
egg and dart enriched cornices with dentils and alternating paterae
on soffit; first-floor ceiling: 2 delicate plaster roses with husk garlands;
left-hand ground-floor room: with moulded dado rail, frieze with anthemion
and palmette ornament and enriched plaster cornice; fireplace has panelled
pilasters with husk garlands, frieze with acanthus and palmette ornament
and central urn relief, and moulded cornice with bead and reel enrichment;
right-hand ground-floor room: moulded dado rail, fluted frieze and dentil
cornice; fireplace has marble surround with husk ornament, fluted frieze
with central urn relief, and enriched cornice. Bedrooms with moulded
cornices, and fireplaces with friezes and cornices. C18 six-panelled
doors with panelled reveals and moulded architraves; panelled window reveals.
C17 rear range has roof with collar and tie-beam trusses and pairs of
purlins; C17 timber-framed square-panelled cross-walls and chamfered beams
with ogee stops; ground floor rear room with C17 panelling with fluted
frieze and the first floor at rear has early C18 raised and fielded
panelling and doors; former kitchen in left-hand ground-floor rear
room has large open fireplace with early C19 surround consisting of
panelled sides and moulded cornice, and spit rack above; early C18 kitchen
wing at rear has large depressed-arched open fireplace with early C19
surround consisting of Gothic-panelled sides, moulded cornice, and flanking
arched recess. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.226; B.O.E., p.131; H. E. Forrest, FLS,
Some old Shropshire houses and their owners (1924), pp.58-60.


Listing NGR: SJ4117113850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.