History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Benthall Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7199 / 52°43'11"N

Longitude: -2.8977 / 2°53'51"W

OS Eastings: 339462

OS Northings: 313965

OS Grid: SJ394139

Mapcode National: GBR BB.1P9J

Mapcode Global: WH8BK.GWCP

Entry Name: Benthall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366881

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258906

Location: Alberbury with Cardeston, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Alberbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Cardeston

Listing Text

SJ 31 SE ALBERBURY WITH -
CARDESTON C.P.
5/1 Benthall Farmhouse
-

GV II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1660 with early C18 and C19 alterations and additions.
Red brick with dressed red sandstone plinth; hipped slate roof. T-plan
with additions to east. 3 storeys. Chamfered stone plinth, plat bands
(upper one moulded) and shaped joist ends; external brick end stack to
north-east with toothed brick course to set back top stage, external
lateral brick stack to south-west with toothed brick course to set back
top stage, short pitched-roof link to attic, and external brick end
stack to north-west with datestone: 1660
toothed brick course to set back G
top stage and short slate-hung T H
pitched-roof link to attic. South-east (entrance) front: 2:1 bays
(formerly 2:2 bays - see blocked windows to right), projecting wing to
left; refenestrated in C18 with segmental-headed windows replaced by
straight-headed glazing bar sashes (also some C19 four-pane sashes)
with exposed boxes and segmental relieving arches (former C17 window
heads); ground-floor 2-light wooden casement to right with segmental
relieving arch; blind windows in return of wing; C19 hipped-roof brick
and timber porch in angle with half-glazed door and half-glazed panelled
front door behind. One-storey wing to right with dentil brick eaves
cornice. South-west front. 3:1 bays divided by stack; refenstrated with
C18 glazing bar sashes, blackings and other alterations; second-floor
2-light wooden casements, one blocked and second from left blind and
rendered; right-hand bay with blind window; probably early C19 door
replacing former segmental-headed window in second bay from left with
6 panels (lower 2 flush and top 4 raised),moulded architrave, and
lead-covered bracketed flat hood. Probably C18 two-storey addition
projecting to left with ground-floor 2-light casement and first-floor
glazing bar sash to north, plat band, and probably altered mono-pitch
roof. One storey C19 kitchen block in angle at rear with integral brick
end stack. Interior: C17 with c.1700 alterations; dining room: C18
raised and fielded panelling with dado rail, moulded cornice, and
6-panelled door; drawing room: C18 fireplace with lugged architrave
and moulded cornice, and wainscot panelling; c.1660 dog-leg staircase
with closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel
post with finial; bedrooms: one with C17 panelling and C18 bolection-
moulded fireplace surround; one with C18 bolection-moulded wainscot
panelling, fireplace surround, and doors; one with C17 chimney-piece
consisting of Ionic colonnettes flanking fireplace, overmantel with
pilasters dividing lugged panels, and frieze and moulded cornice; second
floor with boarded doors. "G/T.H" are the initials of Thomas Griffiths
and his son Henry. It has been suggested (Forrest) that the house was
formerly L-shaped with an entrance to the east and that the house was
altered to its present condition c.1700 by Henry Biggs when the entrance
was moved and a new dining room added with a bedroom over. It is suggested
that the apparent similarity in the brickwork is due to the reuse of materials.
V.C.H., vol VIII, pp. 191-2; H. E. Forrest, Some old Shropshire houses and
their owners,(1924), pp. 47-51.


Listing NGR: SJ3946213965

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.