This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7451 / 52°44'42"N
Longitude: -2.8027 / 2°48'9"W
OS Eastings: 345909
OS Northings: 316686
OS Grid: SJ459166
Mapcode National: GBR BG.02PK
Mapcode Global: WH8BL.X8KD
Entry Name: Dovecote Approximately 80 Metres to South West of the Isle
Listing Date: 27 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366894
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259069
Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY3
Civil Parish: Bicton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BICTON C.P. -
SJ 41 NE
SJ 4591 1668
6/9 Dovecote approx. 80
- metres to south-west of
Summerhouse, now dovecote. Late C17 or early C18, altered and heightened
in the mid-C18. Red brick with some grey sandstone ashlar dressings.
Pyramidal plain tile roof. Square plan. Plinth with moulded stone top,
chamfered stone quoins (to earlier lower part only),set forward to top
part, dentil brick eaves cornice, and louvred square wooden glover with
pyramidal lead cap and weathervane. Boarded door to south-east with
rectangular overlight and gauged-brick head; square opening for doves in
later top stage above. Recessed blind or blocked window to north-west with
gauged-brick head. Plastered interior with nesting boxes. Although it
might have been built as a dovecote it is possible that it might initially
have been built as a summerhouse. It stands in the immediate grounds of
The Isle (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SJ4590916686
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings