History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dinthill Cottages Approximately 360 Metres to North West of Dinthill Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bicton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7098 / 52°42'35"N

Longitude: -2.8532 / 2°51'11"W

OS Eastings: 342456

OS Northings: 312802

OS Grid: SJ424128

Mapcode National: GBR BD.288K

Mapcode Global: WH8BS.44MX

Entry Name: Dinthill Cottages Approximately 360 Metres to North West of Dinthill Hall

Listing Date: 27 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366896

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259079

Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bicton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Cardeston

Listing Text

BICTON C.P. A 458 (T) (south side)
SJ 41 SW
SJ 4245 1280
9/19 Nos. 1 and 2, Dinthill Cottages
- approx. 360 metres to north-
west of Dinthill Hall

- II

House, latterly divided, now disused. Probably late C16 or early C17,
remodelled in the late C19. Timber framed with red brick nogging, partly
refaced or rebuilt in red brick. Slate roof, hipped to east. Framing:
small square panels. L-plan. Two framed bays with rear wing of framed
bay. Two storeys. North front: integral brick end stack to right and
to rear of wing. C19 one-and 2-light cast-iron lozenge-pattern casements,
4 to first floor and 2 to ground floor. Segmental-headed boarded door
off-centre to right with gabled porch. Left-hand return front with 2-
light cast-iron casements to each floor at left and segmental-headed boarded
door to right. Rendered right-hand gable end, with evidence of collar and
tie-beam truss beneath and pairs of purlin ends. C19 one-storey gabled
wash house at rear. Interior: left and right-hand ground-floor rooms
with deep-chamfered ceiling beams running front to back. Right-hand room
has large open fireplace to right with moulded surround. Dog-leg oak
staircase to left of entrance. Left-hand ground-floor rear room: deep-
chamfered ceiling beam and chamfered girding beam with broach stops.
Fireplace has (probably reset) C17 deep stone lintel with which carved
strapwork ornament, moulded lower edge (formerly returned to jambs) and
remains of flanking chamfered rustication. C19 cast-iron range. Collar
and tie-beam roof truss between front range and rear wing, with jowl posts.
This house, formerly known as Dinthill Grange, was once the family home of
the Purcells and the Owens. The fireplace lintel has been reset, but
probably originates from the house which has been much rebuilt. Tradition-
ally, however, it comes from another house nearby which has now been
demolished. H.E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners
(1924), pp. 25-35.


Listing NGR: SJ4245612802

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.