History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Montford Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Montford, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7325 / 52°43'56"N

Longitude: -2.8427 / 2°50'33"W

OS Eastings: 343190

OS Northings: 315315

OS Grid: SJ431153

Mapcode National: GBR BD.0YN6

Mapcode Global: WH8BL.9LK2

Entry Name: Montford Bridge

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366920

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259098

Location: Montford, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bicton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Montford with Shrawardine

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bicton

Listing Text

BICTON C.P.
SJ 41 NW
5/37

MONTFORD BRIDGE

Montford Bridge

29.1.52

GV

II

Bridge. 1790-2 (dated 1792), Thomas Telford Engineer. Parapet altered in 1963. Red sandstone ashlar. Three elliptical arches, each with chamfered voussoirs, raised keystones and chamfered-rusticated extrados. Arches divided by wide pilaster strips and semi-circular cutwaters with plinths and band to domed tops. Balustrade to widened footpaths of 1963. C18 wing walls curve out to circular end piers. When the C18 parapet was rebuilt the datestone above the central arch was resited adjoining the south-east end pier; inscribed: "MDCCXCII". The bridge carries the Holyhead Road over the River Severn.

This was Telford's first bridge built when he was County Surveyor of Bridges for Shropshire. Telford's estimate was for £5,800. The stone was provided by John Lowden and John Brown from Lord Bradford's quarry at Nesscliffe. Mathew Davidson of Langholm was employed to superintend the work, John Simpson of Shrewsbury was employed as mason, and the contract for building the bridge was awarded to John Carline and John Tilley of Shrewsbury. In the years after 1817 Telford was the engineer for the Holyhead Road improvements.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23 March 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.