History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6165 / 52°36'59"N

Longitude: -3.0521 / 3°3'7"W

OS Eastings: 328867

OS Northings: 302604

OS Grid: SJ288026

Mapcode National: GBR B4.877Y

Mapcode Global: WH8C2.2HXG

Entry Name: Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 21 March 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366951

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257385

Location: Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire, SY21

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Chirbury with Brompton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Marton-in-Chirbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Meadowtown

Listing Text

CHIRBURY C.P. MARTON
SJ 20 SE
4/60 Church of St. Mark
-
21.3.68
GV II


Chapel of ease, now parish church. 1855 with later alterations. Regularly
coursed limestone and shale rubble.with ashlar dressings, machine tile
roofs. Nave with west bellcote, chancel, north porch and south vestry;
lancet style. Nave: buttressed in 3 bays with lancets, paired to east
and west bays on north and south respectively; west window of paired
lancets with quatrefoil above, stone bellcote; west bay on north has
gabled timber porch on low stone walls. Short chancel in 2 bays with
paired cusped lancets to west bay on north and east window of 3 lancets
with cusped quatrefoil above; lean-to vestry on south in angle with
nave. Interior: very plain with trussed rafter roofs to nave and chancel,
pointed chancel arch. Stained glass in east window, 1903. Marton parish
was formed from part of Chirbury in 1859. Included for group value.
D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) p.550.


Listing NGR: SJ2886702604

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.