History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whiteley Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Longden, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6791 / 52°40'44"N

Longitude: -2.8069 / 2°48'24"W

OS Eastings: 345546

OS Northings: 309348

OS Grid: SJ455093

Mapcode National: GBR BG.47N9

Mapcode Global: WH8BS.VXLJ

Entry Name: Whiteley Grange

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Last Amended: 10 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259305

Location: Longden, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Longden

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Longden and Annscroft

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Great Hanwood

Listing Text

SJ 40 NE BAYSTON HILL C.P. -

5/4 Whitley Grange
- (formerly listed
29.1.52 as Whitley in the
Parish of Condover)
GV II

Farmhouse. Circa 1667 with considerable later additions and alterations.
Red brick, low-pitched hipped slate roof. Tall rectangular block, 3 x 2
bays with additions at right-angles to right and to rear on left of mid-
C19 and circa 1930 respectively. 3 storeys and attic, cellars; continuous
toothed band to second floor and moulded brick band above; original fene-
stration and openings all altered, now mid-C19 casements and late C20
aluminium-framed sashes with segmental heads inserted at random; original
entrance slightly to right of centre, now blocked and with mid-C19 addition
abutting, moulded cambered stone arch with dripstone and quoins and badly
damaged armorial shield dated 1667 to centre; main entrance now in left-
hand return through half-glazed door with bracketed hood; tall external
lateral stack to rear on right and subsidiary central stack in roof slope
to front. Interior: the main feature of interest is the very fine stair-
case (dated "W.O.M./1667" on the newel on the half-landing between the ground
and first floor), which leads from the cellar to the second floor; broad
moulded handrail with deeply parallel rectangular-shaped balusters and
elaborately carved newels decorated with a variety of motifs including heart-
shapes and nailhead ornament; good panelling in right-hand ground floor room
with fluted frieze and inset cupboards with cock's head hinges; further
similar panelling in room above on first floor; the brick-walled cellar
(former kitchen) has a blocked fireplace with wide segmental arch and moulded
stone overmantel. The house was formerly moated, but now only traces of a
bank survive in the garden to the north.


Listing NGR: SJ4554609348

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.