History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walleybourne Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Church Pulverbatch, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6349 / 52°38'5"N

Longitude: -2.8496 / 2°50'58"W

OS Eastings: 342595

OS Northings: 304470

OS Grid: SJ425044

Mapcode National: GBR BD.733Q

Mapcode Global: WH8C5.6189

Entry Name: Walleybourne Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366962

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259317

Location: Church Pulverbatch, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Church Pulverbatch

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Church Pulverbatch

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Halston

Listing Text

SJ 40 SW CHURCH PULVERBATCH C.P. -

8/16 Walleybourne Farmhouse
-

- II*

Manor house, now farmhouse. Circa 1400, re-modelled in C16 and c.1700 with
later additions and alterations. Red brick concealing timber frame, plain
tile roofs. Open hall of 3 or 4 bays with stack inserted in north wall and
cross-wing added to west end in C16; hall floored over c.1700; eaves raised
and house encased in brick in late C18 or early C19. Two storeys, dentilled
eaves cornice; one glazing bar sash with segmental head to each floor on
cross-wing and one 3-light casement on each floor to left of entrance in
hall range; further small casement on first floor in angle between hall and
cross-wing and a glazing bar sash window at junction between hall and single-
storey lean-to on right; plain boarded door has C20 pedimented doorcase
over; main stack roughly to centre of hall range behind ridge with additional
stack at junction between hall and cross-wing and end stack to right.
Interior: 3 base cruck trusses of arch-braced collar beam construction, 2
of them (including the spere truss at east end) ornamented with delicate
cusping at the apex; one of the door heads of the screens passage is still
in position and the close studding on the north wall is probably C16;
chamfered ceiling beams throughout on ground floor. The house was formerly
surrounded by a moat. V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.132 and plate opposite p.111.


Listing NGR: SJ4259504470

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.