This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4203 / 52°25'13"N
Longitude: -2.9264 / 2°55'35"W
OS Eastings: 337094
OS Northings: 280657
OS Grid: SO370806
Mapcode National: GBR B9.NN6V
Mapcode Global: VH76C.7F8G
Entry Name: Church of St Swithun
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Last Amended: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257560
Location: Clunbury, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Clunbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Clunbury with Clunton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
CLUNBURY C.P. CLUNBURY
SO 38 SE
4/55 Church of St. Swithun
21.3.68 (Formerly listed as
Church of St. Swithin)
Chapel-of-ease, now parish church. Early and late C12, C14 and C15
with minor additions and alterations of 1842 and 1848. Restored by
James Piers St. Aubyn in 1881. Uncoursed limestone rubble with
chamfered plinth to chancel and ashlar dressings; stone slate roofs to
nave and porch and slates to chancel and vestry, which have coped verges on
carved stone kneelers. Nave; chancel; west tower; south porch and
organ chamber. Tower: probably late C12 in 2 stages on chamfered plinth;
embattled parapet with string course below and another below belfry windows.
Louvred windows with 3-centred arches to belfry on east and north and
cusped windows on south and west, latter with square head. Similar
square-headed window with single broad cusped light to first stage on south.
Inset C18 sundial above retains gnomon but inscription had flaked off at
time of resurvey (July 1986). Pointed double-chamfered west doorway looks
c.1200 but may be of 1842. Short clasping buttresses at north-east and
south-east angles are actually part of west wall of earlier nave.
Pyramidal slate cap and brass weathercock. Nave: probably early C12,
extended westwards in mid-to late C12 and eaves raised in C15 (original eaves
line clearly visible on south side). South side is buttressed in 3
unequal bays and has narrow round-headed Romanesque window immediately to
right of porch. Mid-C14 pointed window with paired broad cinquefoil-headed
lancets and quatrefoil above in middle bay. Right bay has early C15 square-
headed window with 2 trefoil-headed lights to left and an early C14 window
of paired cusped lancets to right. Contemporary segmental pointed arched
recess below has grave slab with incised floriated cross, which although
of roughly the same date as the arch, is apparently not in situ. Porch
(1881) is timber framed with fretted bargeboards and ceramic cross to gable.
Restored C12 single-stepped round-headed doorway with imposts and
hoodmould. West jamb of another (infilled) C12 doorway is visible to west
of C14 window in middle bay and presumably is part of entrance to original
nave. North side: also buttressed in 3 unequal bays with C12 narrow round-
headed window to left of west bay and late C19 two-light window to right.
East bay has early C15 square-headed window with hoodmould and 2 cusped
lights to right and a C14 cusped window to left, widened in C17 or C18.
Chancel: reputed to have been rebuilt in 1848 has apparently C12 narrow
round-headed window on north side and a late C19 three-light Perpendicular-
style east window. Tiny blind paired cusped opening directly below eaves on north side
has probably been reset. Parallel gabled organ chamber (1848) has cambered
west doorway, segmental-headed window on south and a segmental-headed east
window of 2 cusped lights. Several C12 architectural fragments have been
reused throughout church. Interior: mid-to late C12 west doorway (formerly
external) has round-headed arch with 2 orders of shafts and scalloped
capitals (altered 1842). Roughly contemporary single-splayed window above
with 3-centred arch also formerly external. C15 arch-braced collar beam
roof in 7 bays with 2 tiers of moulded purlins and moulded rafters. Wind-
braces forming quatrefoil patterns and bands of Perpendicular traceried
panelling (c.f. Church of St. Mary , Hopesay) running along tops of north
and south walls. Wide single splays to all windows, especially pronounced
to C12 windows. Restored C14 trefoil-headed piscina beneath south-east
window in nave. Scalloped C12 font on later moulded plinth and C19 base.
C17 oak chest and elaborately carved pulpit back, fixed to west wall at
time of resurvey (July 1986), from pulpit paid for in 1637 (Churchwardens'
accounts), which was removed in 1881. Other fittings and furnishings late
C19 or later including stained glass of 1872 in east window. Stained
glass by Hardman in 2 of nave north windows. Monuments: C18 and C19 wall
tablets and memorials throughout, most notable being 2 in nave (north side)
to members of Edwards family of c.1833 and c.1840, former by Samuel Stead
of Ludlow. Originally dependent on Clun, Clunbury became a separate
parish in 1341. B.O.E. pp. 109-10; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of
Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) pp. 383-8.
Listing NGR: SO3709680658
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings