This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1463 / 51°8'46"N
Longitude: 0.5764 / 0°34'34"E
OS Eastings: 580300
OS Northings: 141718
OS Grid: TQ803417
Mapcode National: GBR PSV.2JT
Mapcode Global: VHJN0.YG12
Entry Name: Maplehurst Mill
Listing Date: 25 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367061
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174628
Location: Frittenden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Frittenden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
The List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20 February 2017.
STAPLEHURST MILL LANE
TQ 84 SW (West side)
4/93 Maplehurst Mill
House with water-mill attached for David Papillon of Acrise.
House C17, or possibly earlier, with later alterations and
additions. West range of mill 1756, east range mid C19. Mill of
2 parallel ranges, that to west 1756, that to east mid C19 and
wrapped round part of north gable end of C18 section. House,
probably originally free-standing, adjoins south gable end of C19
range and faces west away from road. House: west elevation red
brick in Flemish bond. First floor of south gable end tile-hung.
Plain tile roof. 2 storeys on brick plinth. Hipped roof. Filleted
red and grey brick stack towards centre. Regular 3-window front of
two recessed tripartite sashes and central 2-light casement.
Tripartite sashes with cambered heads to ground floor. Central boarded
door. Rear return wing to right red and grey brick on ground floor,
tile-hung above with hipped roof. Shorter weatherboarded, gabled rear
wing to left. Interior not inspected. Mill: C18 range: red and grey
brick in English bond, with weatherboarded gables and plain tile
roof. 2 storeys and attic on brick plinth. Half-hipped gambrel roof.
One 2-light casement to each gable end. Stable door with segmental
head to north end of west elevation. Boarded door to south gable end.
Dated brick HB 1756 IL to north, DP 1756 to south. Undershot waterwheel to north
gable end, with sluice to west. C19 range: timber framed, weather-
boarded, with slate roof. 3 storeys. Hipped roof. North gable-end
loading door to each floor. 2 two-light casements to second floor
to east side, and 3 to each of ground and first floors.
Interior: carved on a beam in the old mill the letters S and I divided
by a line. This marks the (still current) parish boundary between Staplehurst
(Maidstone District) and Frittenden. The mill machinery, of various C18 to
early C20 date, survives with remarkable completeness, although the water-driven
mechanism is no longer operative, and is very fully described in M J Fuller and R J Spain, Watermitts (Kent and Borders of Sussex), pp 95-102)
Waterwheel possibly of the relatively unusual pitch back type. Attached to the south east is the older mill house separately described and fully in Frittenden Civil Parish.
Listing NGR: TQ8030041718
The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1084735 listed in the parish of Frittenden. This entry was removed from the List on 20 February 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings