This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2088 / 51°12'31"N
Longitude: 1.0562 / 1°3'22"E
OS Eastings: 613565
OS Northings: 149951
OS Grid: TR135499
Mapcode National: GBR TZ0.3V1
Mapcode Global: VHLGT.8W66
Entry Name: Dane Chantry
Listing Date: 29 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171387
Location: Petham, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Petham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 PETHAM STONE STREET
TR 14 NW 16/523 29.9.52
Originally called Deppdene. Dom William Gracian who was the founder of the
Poor Priests Hospital in Canterbury founded a chantry chapel here in the C15.
This is the lower portion of the southernmost window bay which is now faced
with flints. East doorway leading to Undercroft. The portion above it is
red brick with a gable over containing 2 tiny attic windows. The remainder
of the building is a timber-framed addition which may date from 1638 as the
stone 4-centred doorway in the original portion with carved spandrels has this
date beside it. It has a base of flints, herring-bone pattern brick nogging,
and its first floor oversailing on the protruding ends of the floor joists
and brackets. Casement windows with wooden mullions and transoms, except the
southernmost window bay on the first floor which has 2 tiers of 5 lights with
stone mullions and transoms. Two oriel windows projecting on brackets on first
floor and one bay window below. Hipped tiled roof. Two storeys. Four windows.
Listing NGR: TR1356549951
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings