History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Appin Mor old Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton Valence, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2131 / 51°12'47"N

Longitude: 0.5922 / 0°35'31"E

OS Eastings: 581148

OS Northings: 149181

OS Grid: TQ811491

Mapcode National: GBR QT7.SMY

Mapcode Global: VHJMN.6RYX

Entry Name: Appin Mor old Place

Listing Date: 23 March 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367117

English Heritage Legacy ID: 174161

Location: Sutton Valence, Maidstone, Kent, ME17

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: Sutton Valence

Built-Up Area: Sutton Valence

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Sutton Valence

Listing Text

SUTTON VALENCE LOWER ROAD
TQ 8049-8149
(south side)
7/141
23.3.83 Old Place and
Appin Mor
GV II

House, now house row. C15 or early C16 with late C16/early
C17 alterations, and alterations and extensions of c.1900 and
c.1930. Timber framed. Ground floor of main range clad with
chequered red and grey brick. Ground floor of left wing
coursed galletted stone. Rest exposed close-studding with
plaster infilling. 2 arch-braces to hall range. Plain tile
roof. Main range of 3 timber-framed bays, probably a 2-bay hall
with storeyed bay to left. Late C16/early C17 cross-wing to
right end, projecting to rear. Cross wing added to left end
c. 1930. Hall range 1½ storeys, wings 2 storeys and attics.
First floor of right wing formerly jettied on moulded bressumer,
underbuilt with applied close-studding. Attic of each wing jettied
on moulded and brattished bressumer and shaped brackets, with
carved bargeboards and pendants. Roof discontinuous between left
wing and hall range; latter half-hipped to left. Multiple brick
ridge stack in front slope of roof towards right end of hall range.
Ridge stack towards rear of left wing and stack to right side of
right wing. Two C20 semi-dormers to hall-range, to left gabled
with barge boards and brackets, to right flat-roofed. Irregular
fenestration of 5 windows, excluding dormers; two 3-light leaded
casements to left wing and three ovolo-moulded wood mullion
windows to right wing. C20 timber and brick porch with ribbed
door, up 3 steps to right end of hall. Moulded 4-centred-arched
late C16/early C17 inner doorway with hollow spandrels embedded
in wall to left end of hall range. Interior: 2 first-floor
fireplaces, one moulded stone, one chamfered brick. Shaped bracket
to right of porch. Common rafter roof to left end hall range
with lapped collars. Clasped purlin roof with windbraces to
right wing. Venetian window to rear of right wing and mullioned
window to side.


Listing NGR: TQ8114849181

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.