History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge and Sheepwash Approximately 50 Metres South East of the Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Knockin, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.794 / 52°47'38"N

Longitude: -2.9869 / 2°59'12"W

OS Eastings: 333550

OS Northings: 322286

OS Grid: SJ335222

Mapcode National: GBR 76.X0YT

Mapcode Global: WH8BB.21YB

Entry Name: Bridge and Sheepwash Approximately 50 Metres South East of the Old Rectory

Listing Date: 15 October 1984

Last Amended: 21 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367162

English Heritage Legacy ID: 256587

Location: Knockin, Shropshire, SY10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Knockin

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Knockin St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Knockin

Listing Text

KNOCKIN C.P. KNOCKIN
SJ 32 SW

7/39 Bridge and sheepwash
- approx. 50m south-east
of The Old Rectory
15.10.84 (formerly listed as
Sheepwash and road
bridge, south of Knockin
Castle Mound)

- II

Bridge and sheepwash. Circa 1819 (document). Uncoursed red sandstone
rubble with ashlar coping. Bridge. Circular section under road with
keystone on south side. The eastern branch of the Weir brook flows
under bridge. To south is a wedge-shaped enclosure, defined by walls
about 1.0m high, 10m long on road side and approximately 5m long on south
side. Within the enclosure the brook runs through a stone-lined channel
about 1.5m wide. The enclosure walls step down once on east, west and
south sides. Roughly in the centre of the south side is a sluice with
timber gate above. The parapet of the bridge completes the enclosure
on the north side and there are timber picket gates at the east and west
ends of the wall. The sheep entered the water from the eastern side
(where a depression is still visible) and came out on the west. In
use until c.1940. The Old Rectory is not included in this list. V.E.
Turner, An Archaeological Survey of Knockin (unpublished, 1981).


Listing NGR: SJ3355022286

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.