This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7935 / 52°47'36"N
Longitude: -2.8991 / 2°53'56"W
OS Eastings: 339472
OS Northings: 322149
OS Grid: SJ394221
Mapcode National: GBR 79.X495
Mapcode Global: WH8BC.F1QR
Entry Name: Group of 10 Chest Tombs Immediately to South and South-East of Tower of Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 21 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367176
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256693
Location: Ruyton-XI-Towns, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Ruyton-XI-Towns
Built-Up Area: Ruyton-XI-Towns
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ruyton-in-the-XI Towns St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. CHURCH STREET (north
SJ 32 SE side)
8/141 Group of 10 chest tombs
- immediately to south and
south-east of tower of
Church of St. John the
Group of 10 chest tombs. Mid-C18 to early C19. Sandstone ashlar. Row
of 5 very closely-spaced tombs aligned north-south with another 2 on same
alignment immediately to west; 3 further tombs a few metres to south-east.
Five in row have moulded plinths and capping with mixture of fluted and
plain corner pilasters; carved floral motifs to ends. Inscriptions to
top ledgers, ranging in date from 1780 to 1805, commemorating members of
local families. North tomb has inscription panel to north face in memory
of Richard Basnett of Wykey (died 1796), flanked by floral emblems; fluted
fans to spandrels. No tombs to west also have inscriptions to top ledgers,
southern dated 1739 and other illegible but probably roughly contemporary.
Three tombs to south-east, c.1800, with mixture of fluted and plain corner
pilasters and chamfered top ledgers. Recessed semi-circular inscription
panels to long sides and oval-shaped discs to ends.
Listing NGR: SJ3947222149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings