History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in More, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5177 / 52°31'3"N

Longitude: -2.9692 / 2°58'9"W

OS Eastings: 334331

OS Northings: 291536

OS Grid: SO343915

Mapcode National: GBR B7.GHPC

Mapcode Global: VH75R.HZ58

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367195

English Heritage Legacy ID: 256861

Location: More, Shropshire, SY9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: More

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: More

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Norbury

Listing Text

SO 39 SW MORE C.P. MORE

6/16 Church Farmhouse

1/12/51
GV II

Farmhouse. Early to mid C16, remodelled mid C17 and mid C18, extended in
C19. Timber-framed and plaster infill, parts roughcast, slate roofs, rubblestone
ridge stack with red brick shafts. Hall and cross wing type extended and
converted. 2 storeys over cellar. Hall, probably of 3 structural bays,
has close studding to first floor and long straight tension braces; formerly
jettied it has now been underbuilt on the ground floor which is roughcast
(but see the moulded bressumer with billet type moulding); on the first floor
one C19 casement to right and an original 2-light window (now infilled) to
left. On the ground floor a projecting flat roofed porch to the right marks
the position of the former cross passage; to the right of this a projecting
gabled cross wing with C19 casements on both floors. The gable end of the
hall is stone clad and bears the datestone R below the roof
apex. To the rear the twin gabled elevation E S retains close
studding to the ground floor and the position 1751 of an original
small 2-light window (now blocked) to the right; jettying to the first floor
(note the difference in height between the 2 gables) and to an attic on the
right hand gable, now obscured by roughcast. Underneath the roughcast there
is said to be unusual timber-framed decoration on both the gables and one
of them is said also to have a datestone of 1659. To the right of the original
farmhouse (looking from the east) is a C19 addition, rectangular in plan,
also roughcast with a slate hipped roof. (Interior not inspected). B.O.E. P.203.


Listing NGR: SO3433191536

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.