This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4746 / 52°28'28"N
Longitude: -3.1755 / 3°10'31"W
OS Eastings: 320253
OS Northings: 286943
OS Grid: SO202869
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.K6VC
Mapcode Global: VH68K.X23B
Entry Name: The Cantlin Stone and Botfield Cross
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257094
Location: Newcastle on Clun, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Newcastle on Clun
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Newcastle
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 28 NW
The Cantlin Stone and Botfield Cross
Memorial stone and cross. Stone erected 1691 and cross erected 1858. Irregular limestone boulder inscribed "WC/DECSED HERE BURIED/1691 AT BETWS". Limestone Celtic cross with carved roundels and trails and chamfered stepped square base (cross displaced and fractured at time of resurvey [November 1984]).
The stone traditionally marks the spot where William Catlin, a pedlar visiting local farms, collapsed and died in 1691; he is said to be buried in St Mary's Churchyard (q.v.). The cross was erected in 1858 by Beriah Botfield, a botanist and bibliographer, and M.P. for Ludlow.
A wooden fence (not included) now surrounds both stone and cross.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 October 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.