This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.769 / 52°46'8"N
Longitude: -2.3781 / 2°22'41"W
OS Eastings: 374586
OS Northings: 319107
OS Grid: SJ745191
Mapcode National: GBR 7Z.YQVJ
Mapcode Global: WH9CR.FNSL
Entry Name: Former Town Hall [owners Newport (Salop) Market and Trading Company]
Listing Date: 29 June 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255429
Location: Newport, Telford and Wrekin, TF10
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: Newport
Built-Up Area: Newport (Telford and Wrekin) B
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Newport St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ST MARY STREET
Former Town Hall
[Owners Newport (Salop)
SJ 741 Market and Trading Company]
SJ 7419 SE 1/103
Now divided into 8 shops. Bated 1860. Architect: J Cobb. Debased Italianate
style. Painted brick with stone dressings; 2 storeys; a slightly projecting
bay at either side with pediment (one window); 4 windows to centre; windows
in moulded architraves with semi-circular heads, the outers with cornices surmounted
by scroll cresting; quoins, those to ground storey vermiculated; moulded sill
and floor bands; plain frieze; moulded eaves cornice on brackets; parapet with
inset balustrading, and clock at centre in surround with moulded stucco scrolls
and garlands, and surmounted by lion-head keyblock and segmental pediment.
Ground storey altered with inset modern shop fronts.
Listing NGR: SJ7458619107
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings