History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oswestry Castle, Remains of

A Grade II Listed Building in Oswestry, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8612 / 52°51'40"N

Longitude: -3.0551 / 3°3'18"W

OS Eastings: 329063

OS Northings: 329817

OS Grid: SJ290298

Mapcode National: GBR 73.RVSN

Mapcode Global: WH89X.1BHX

Entry Name: Oswestry Castle, Remains of

Listing Date: 10 September 1951

Last Amended: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367336

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255543

Location: Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Oswestry

Built-Up Area: Croesowallt

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Oswestry St Oswald King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Oswestry

Listing Text

SJ 2929 NW OSWESTRY C.P. HORSE MARKET

14/72 Oswestry Castle,
10.9.51 remains of

GV II

Castle, remains of. C13 masonry on late Cll motte, landscaped late
C19. Uncoursed limestone and conglomerate rubble. Only fragments of
medieval structure survive: 2 substantial pieces of collapsed masonry
(probably from former shell keep) on top of levelled motte and the
possible remains of a reconstructed bastion on east side; revetment wall
around the base of the motte probably late C19 but re-using medieval
masonry, incorporates 2 gate piers removed from former Beatrice Gate;
regularly coursed sandstone with round-headed niches, moulded capping
with fluted bands, right-hand interruped by inscription "TOLL THOROUGH".
The motte was raised soon after the Conquest by Alan Fitz Flaald and
the castle was the scene of a parliament held by Richard II in 1398: it
was repaired by the Royalists in 1643 but was slighted by the Parliamentarian
forces in the following year. Beatrice Gate, a gate in the former town
walls, was removed c. 1782. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 203.


Listing NGR: SJ2905429821

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.