History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wigginton Hall and Attached Wall to Right

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Martin's, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9126 / 52°54'45"N

Longitude: -2.9903 / 2°59'25"W

OS Eastings: 333499

OS Northings: 335475

OS Grid: SJ334354

Mapcode National: GBR 76.ND47

Mapcode Global: WH89R.119Z

Entry Name: Wigginton Hall and Attached Wall to Right

Listing Date: 2 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367351

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255733

Location: St. Martin's, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: St. Martin's

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: St Martin's St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Whittington

Listing Text

ST. MARTIN'S C.P. WIGGINTON
SJ 33 NW
2/21 Wigginton Hall and
attached wall to right
II

Farmhouse. Dated 1683 but possibly incorporating parts of an earlier building;
later additions and alterations. Red brick (mixed bond) with render probably
concealing timber frame to left gable end; slate roof. L-plan. 2 storeys
and attic; plinth; moulded string course below eaves supporting carved wooden
corbels with incised initials and other symbols. Dentilled floor bands to
right gable end. 1:1:1 bays divided by pilasters tapering to bottom; late C20
casements, those to ground floor with 2 rows of headers to heads. Central
entrance; moulded wood surround with mid-C19 half-glazed door. Datestone
above in form of shield inscribed "L/IM/MD/1683." Prominent C19 slate-
hung gabled dormer in roof slope to centre. Integral end stack to left with
toothed band to top. Right gable end has infilled windows to ground and
first floors and C20 casement to attic. Rear range has dentilled bands and
infilled window to gable; ridge stack with dentilled band to top. Wall:
attached to rear right corner of rear range. Probably early C18. Red brick
with sandstone coping. Approximately 30m in length. Interior: right
ground-floor room has 2 chamfered cross beams with straight-cut stops; left
ground-floor room with 2 deep-chamfered spine beams continuing to other side
of left wall of central passage; heavy joists. Timber frame (square panels)
exposed to right wall of passage and to cross wall in rear range. Massive
chimney breast to left gable end with C19 segmental wooden surround to fireplace
and inset cupboard. Rear range has late C17 dog-leg staircase, partly recon-
structed but retaining original balusters, moulded handrail and newel posts.
C18 panelled doors. House formerly had lower, partly timber framed range to
left gable end, demolished c.1970. C20 lean-to addition in angle to rear
is not of special architectural interest.


Listing NGR: SJ3349935475

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.