History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ball Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Oswestry Rural, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8318 / 52°49'54"N

Longitude: -3.0341 / 3°2'2"W

OS Eastings: 330425

OS Northings: 326532

OS Grid: SJ304265

Mapcode National: GBR 74.TMGN

Mapcode Global: WH8B3.C2DW

Entry Name: Ball Mill

Listing Date: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367355

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255653

Location: Oswestry Rural, Shropshire, SY10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Oswestry Rural

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Maesbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Ball

Listing Text

SJ 32 NW OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. BALL LANE (North-west
side)
6/176 Ball Mill
-

- II

Mill, now partly disused. Mainly early C19 but possibly incorporating
parts of an earlier mill, extended mid-C19 and again c.1900. Uncoursed
limestone rubble with red brick dressings, extended in red brick, slate
roof. 3 storeys, although only ground and first floors lit to front,
dentilled eaves cornice; 7-bay front, central section forming gabled
break with wooden gabled hoist projection; segmental-headed windows
and doors to both floors including to right end which was formerly
domestic with end stack. Mill race runs to rear suspended in an
iron channel above 2 wooden overshot wheels with iron spokes; these
are linked by cog mechanisms, which open the plate of the sluice, to the
inside of the mill. Interior: retains much of the original equipment
including millstones, grinding and lifting gear and a series of corn
bins on the top floor. At time of re-survey (July 1985) the mill is
mainly used for the preparation of cattle food and the stones are generally
driven by electricity. Circa 1900 flat-roofed-addition is not of special
architectural interest. Salop County Sites and Monuments Record PRN 15525.


Listing NGR: SJ3042526532

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.