History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Whittington, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8746 / 52°52'28"N

Longitude: -3.0026 / 3°0'9"W

OS Eastings: 332615

OS Northings: 331268

OS Grid: SJ326312

Mapcode National: GBR 75.QWPM

Mapcode Global: WH89X.V0CK

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 8 October 1959

Last Amended: 2 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255837

Location: Whittington, Shropshire, SY11

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Whittington

Built-Up Area: Whittington (Shropshire)

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Whittington St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Whittington

Listing Text

WHITTINGTON C.P. CHURCH STREET (east side)
SJ 3231-3331
11/121 Church of St. John the
Baptist
8.10.59
GV II

Parish church. On medieval site with west tower of 1747; nave 1805-6 by Thomas
Harrison of Chester; chancel with north aisle and south vestry 1861; latter
extended 1894 when whole church was restored by Eustace Frere. Red brick
with sandstone dressings; plain tile, machine tile and slate roofs. Classical
style Gothicized by Frere in 1894. Nave; chancel; west tower with flanking
porches; north chancel aisle and south vestry. Tower: in 4 stages with stepped
corner pilasters and string courses; pyramidal roof (1894) with dentilled stone
cornice and wide sprocketed eaves surmounted by brass weathercock. Louvred
round-headed windows to belfry have projecting keybricks and imposts; roundel
with projecting keybricks to third stage on west. Round-headed moulded stone
window to second stage on west has fluted Roman Doric columns (probably 1805-
6); round-headed doorway beneath with alternating bands of rustication and
panelled double doors by Frere. Lean-to hip-roofed porches to left and right
by Harrison have modillioned eaves cornices and round-headed doorways with
contemporary panelled doors and semi-circular fanlights divided by turned baluster-
like bars. Left porch has window of 1894 projecting through roof. Nave:
in 3 recessed bays divided by broad pilaster strips with continuous brick impost
band; moulded brick eaves cornice and low-pitched pedimented gable ends.
Round-headed windows of 1805-6 with projecting keybricks have inserted Venetian
Qua ttrocento-style tracery. Blind wide rectangular openings above with slightly
cambered heads, those on south side formerly with painted texts. 2 similar
openings to east wall. Chancel: possibly incorporating some late C18 brick-
work to east wall has east window of 3 round-headed lights within single larger
semi-circular arch; similar windows to north aisle and vestry, those to latter
slightly more pointed with pointed doorway to west. Interior. Coffered
roof (1894) in single span to nave; contemporary elliptical wooden chancel
arch with Corinthian columns from tie beam, fluted banded rustication to piers
and modillioned eaves cornice; arch-braced roof in 2 bays to chancel. North
chancel aisle,separated from chancel by 2-bay round-arched arcade with Transitional-
style foliage decoration to capital of central circular pier. Early C20 round-
headed arch to west with C18-style turned balusters to gates; black and white
marble floor. Encaustic tiles to chancel. Font 1852; reading desk and lectern
1854; pews 1871. Jacobean chairs flanking high altar and to west end of nave,
which has C17 chest in north-east corner. Late C19 stained glass to north
chancel chapel and dated 1894 to nave north side. Tree of Jesse east window
by F.C. Eden commemorates Edward Pell Edwards, Rector (died 1934). Monuments.
Late C18 and early C19 wall tablets to members of Lovett family (nave, north
side) and other memorials in chancel. Series of C19 brass plates to nave
north side. B.o.E. pp. 316-17; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire.
Part 9 (1908) pp. 836-7.


Listing NGR: SJ3261031268

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.