History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brogyntyn Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Selattyn and Gobowen, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8729 / 52°52'22"N

Longitude: -3.0723 / 3°4'20"W

OS Eastings: 327924

OS Northings: 331138

OS Grid: SJ279311

Mapcode National: GBR 72.R46X

Mapcode Global: WH78R.S16X

Entry Name: Brogyntyn Hall

Listing Date: 19 January 1952

Last Amended: 2 September 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 255737

Location: Selattyn and Gobowen, Shropshire, SY10

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Selattyn and Gobowen

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Selattyn St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Oswestry

Listing Text

SELATTYN AND GOBOWEN C.P. BROGYNTYN PARK
SJ 23 SE
4/24 Brogyntyn Hall (formerly
listed as Brogyntyn
19.1.52 House)
GV II*
Shown on O.S. map as Brogyntyn.
Country house. 1814 (date on rainwater heads) remodelling by Benjamin Gummow
for Mary Jane Ormsby and her husband, William Gore of house of 1735-6 by
Francis Smith for William Owen; later additions and alterations. Stuccoed
red brick with Coade stone to pediment of sandstone ashlar portico; hipped
slate roof with open well and rendered ridge stacks. Greek Revival style
facades encasing an early C18 house of 9 x 5 bays. 2 storeys and attic with
plain first-floor cill band, moulded eaves cornice, parapet and balustrade;
cellar continued as semi-basement to right return. 9-bay entrance front,
centre 3 bays under large projecting tetrastyle portico with unfluted Ionic
columns supporting pediment and with embedded antae behind. Pediment with
floral scrolls and Harlech family coat-of-arms to centre and inscription "IN
HOC SIGNO VINCES" to garland. Glass panelled door in plain pilastered wood
surround and coffered ceiling to portico. Glazing bar sashes (18-paned to
ground floor and blind to upper right) in moulded architraves, which have project-
ing stone lintels to ground floor; C19 hip-roofed dormers, one to left and
2 to right of pediment. 5-bay left return has 2 prominent canted bay windows
(front probably c.1906) to ground floor. Low canted bay projection to rear
of left return has datestone "1825" with intersecting circular patterns to
balustrade. Single-storey service range behind dated 1906, which is probably
also the date of the canted bay window to the 1825 addition. Right return
in 13 bays has 2-storey canted bay to left and external lateral stack to right.
Lower service range to rear, dated 1870 on rainwater head, has similar decoration
to balustrade as that to 1825 addition. Mounting blocks attached to outer
columns of portico. Interior. Entrance hall has elaborately carved wooden
overmantel dated 1617 with grotesque figures and armorial shields probably
from earlier house on site. Moulded doorcases with 6-panel double doors to
left and right lead to 2 principal rooms, left with decoration of c.1906.
Festooned garlands to frieze and modillioned moulded cornice; enriched coffered
ceiling and panelled dado. Broken pedimented surrounds to front windows and
fluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals to canted bay; pilastered glass-
fronted cupboard with semi-circular tympanum to right of elaborately carved
fireplace in back wall. Right room is lined with C19 bookcases and has 2
broken pedimented surrounds to front windows. Library in left return and
rectangular lantern to 1825 addition. Entrance hall has round-headed arches
to left and right in back wall, former leading through C20 glazed door to corridor
of 3 domed bays with floral decoration to pendentives, latter now blocked but
originally leading to staircase. This is of open well type and of 1735-6,
now lit by a C19 octagonal lantern with panelling and palmette decoration to
sides; frieze and modillioned cornice to top. The staircase has 3 balusters
to each tread, one fluted, one turned and one irontwist, grouped together to
bottom around fluted Doric column-like baluster; wreathed handrail ramped to
top of each flight with ball finials to newels, carved pendants and open string;
fluted pilasters to panelled dado. C19 panelled doors and marble fireplaces
with cast-iron grates throughout to first floor. Panelled window shutters
to ground floor. John Wagstaff, carpenter and joiner of Daventry, worked
here under Smith. B.o.E. pp. 84-5; Colvin (1978) pp. 369, 751, 859; Francis
Leach, The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891) pp. 129-33.


Listing NGR: SJ2792431138

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.