History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bampton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7293 / 51°43'45"N

Longitude: -1.5483 / 1°32'54"W

OS Eastings: 431290

OS Northings: 203495

OS Grid: SP312034

Mapcode National: GBR 5TY.KCS

Mapcode Global: VHC07.3STP

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367642

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253351

Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Bampton

Built-Up Area: Bampton (West Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text

SP3003-3103 BAMPTON BROAD STREET
(West side)
13/38 Manor House
12/09/55

GV II
Large house. Mid C18, possibly contemporary with stables which have date stone
inscribed "Gascoigne Frederick 1755". Said to incorporate older building for
which little structural evidence survives. South side has extension with early
C19 Gothick porch, and Gothick wing rebuilt 1904-5. Refurbished early 1980's.
Stucco, renewed 1980's, with stone dressings, hipped stone slate roofs and
stuccoed chimneys. East front has tall central block of 3 storeys and 4 bays,
with band courses and moulded eaves cornice. This is flanked by 2-storey, 2-bay
wings, slightly set back, each with single band course below parapet. 3-pane
sashes, those to ground floor renewed 1980's, the side wings with smaller
sashes. All sashes have stucco voussoir heads with keyblocks, all reworked
1980's, those over central first floor windows slightly arched. 2 centre bays
are slightly advanced, with blind lunette containing 3-light wooden casement at
second floor level, and smaller lunette with bust in pediment above. Pediment
has stone ball finial. South front has early C19 bay to centre with coped gable
and ball finial. This bay has blind lunette in gable, 3-light stone mullion
window with Tudor hoodmould at second floor level, and ashlar oriel window in
Tudor style below. Ground floor has fine early C19 half-glazed door with
radiating semi-circular fanlight, and ashlar porch in Gothick style with
battlements, patterned frieze on quatrefoil shafts, and 4-centred arch to front.
To left of this is a rubble stone wing, rebuilt early C20, with parapet and 2
bays of tripartite Gothick sashes. Interior contains fine mid C18 panelled room
with dentil cornice. Fireplace has eared architrave surround and moulded panel
above, and is flanked by tall fluted Doric pilasters which support a triglyph
frieze.
(Illustrated in Country Life, July 26th 1946)


Listing NGR: SP3129003495

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.