History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High House and Bridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Black Bourton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7334 / 51°44'0"N

Longitude: -1.5895 / 1°35'22"W

OS Eastings: 428445

OS Northings: 203931

OS Grid: SP284039

Mapcode National: GBR 5TX.6Z3

Mapcode Global: VHC06.DPKK

Entry Name: High House and Bridge House

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367682

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253463

Location: Black Bourton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Black Bourton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Black Bourton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Alvescot

Listing Text

SP20SE CARTERTON AND BLACK BOURTON BAMPTON ROAD
(South side)
Black Bourton
5/153 High House and Bridge House
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Fiveways
and The Bridge House (Fiveways
amended to High House
15.05.76))

II
Two houses. High House is dated ITS 1679 on tablet in gable, and has early C19
extension to rear. Coursed rubble limestone with stone slate roof and rebuilt
rubble stone chimney to left. Single cell, of 2 storeys and attic, with one
narrow gable to front. Chamfered stone mullion windows with Tudor hoodmoulds,
4-light to ground floor, 3-light to first floor, and 2-light to attic. Similar
2-light to first floor, and 2-light to attic. Similar 2-light window to first
floor right, over C19 half-glazed door with rectangular fanlight and wooden
lintel. Stone-slated porch with roughcast gable on wooden posts. Rear extension
has wooden casements and hipped bay window to left side. Interior has winder
stair on axis with stack, blocked stair windows, and slightly altered ground
floor fireplace. Bridge House is of c.1823, built for John Cox. Also of coursed
rubble limestone but with dressed quoins and window surrounds. Stone slate roof,
flanking rendered chimneys. 2 storeys, 3 bays. 4-pane sash windows; central
6-panelled door with marginally glazed rectangular fanlight and wooden
architrave frame. Fine ashlar porch with tall Tuscan-Doric columns, architrave
and pediment. Lower rear wing.
(Date of Bridge House supplied by Mr. & Mrs. Palmer of High House)


Listing NGR: SP2844503931

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.