History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pair of Gate Piers and Gates Circa 220 Metres South of Filkins Hall pair of Gatepiers and Gates Circa 220 Metres to South of Filkins Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Filkins and Broughton Poggs, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7365 / 51°44'11"N

Longitude: -1.6521 / 1°39'7"W

OS Eastings: 424119

OS Northings: 204251

OS Grid: SP241042

Mapcode National: GBR 5TT.33S

Mapcode Global: VHC05.9MY6

Entry Name: Pair of Gate Piers and Gates Circa 220 Metres South of Filkins Hall pair of Gatepiers and Gates Circa 220 Metres to South of Filkins Hall

Listing Date: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367689

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253498

Location: Filkins and Broughton Poggs, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs

Built-Up Area: Filkins

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton Poggs with Filkins

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(North side)
8/179 Pair of gate piers and gates
c.220m S of Filkins Hall

Pair of gatepiers and gates. Gatepiers are early-mid C18, and are of ashlar,
square in plan, with moulded bases and moulded box cornices. Moulded bases and
moulded box cornices. Moulded and stepped tops with large ball finials. Side
pilasters to inner faces, with carved scroll tops. Between piers are a pair of
wrought iron gates, probably of c.1912, with scrolled ornament and delicate
scrolled overthrow. Gates and gatepiers are focal point of vista down avenue on
axis with south front of Filkins Hall, which was built c.1730-40, destroyed by
fire 1876, and rebuilt 1912-14.
(Illustrated in Country Life, April 28th 1944, p728)

Listing NGR: SP2411904251

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.