This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7385 / 51°44'18"N
Longitude: -1.6544 / 1°39'15"W
OS Eastings: 423957
OS Northings: 204480
OS Grid: SP239044
Mapcode National: GBR 5TM.VZQ
Mapcode Global: VHC05.8KQL
Entry Name: Barn Occupied by Cotswold Woollen Weavers
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367711
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253520
Location: Filkins and Broughton Poggs, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs
Built-Up Area: Filkins
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Broughton Poggs with Filkins
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP2204-2304 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS VILLAGE STREET
7/198 Barn occupied by Cotswold
12/09/55 Woollen Weavers
(Formerly listed as Barn
opposide Filkins Hall)
Former barn, converted to workshop 1982. Circa 1720-30, with semi-illegible
tablet dated 17?? over archway. Coursed limestone rubble with dressed quoins;
stone slate roof; stone gable copings with small finial to gable near road. High
T-plan building with steep roofs. 5 bays. East front has large central gabled
projection with shallow pointed stone arch over cart entry to former threshing
floor. Archway is now infilled with C20 glazing. Smaller entry opposite in west
wall has lower segmental arch and flanking buttresses. Outer bays have vent
slits with a row of square vent holes above and below. Similar vents in gables,
all with dressed stone jambs. Roof structure renewed C19-C20. Low single-storey
range attached to south-west corner is not of special architectural interest.
Barn was formerly known as the Bridal Barn and is said to have been used for
village wedding feasts or "bridge-ales".
(Country Life: April 28th 1944, pp728 and 731)
Listing NGR: SP2395704480
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings