This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7425 / 51°44'32"N
Longitude: -1.6321 / 1°37'55"W
OS Eastings: 425498
OS Northings: 204926
OS Grid: SP254049
Mapcode National: GBR 5TN.N66
Mapcode Global: VHC05.NGJL
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253545
Location: Kencot, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Kencot
Built-Up Area: Broadwell (West Oxfordshire) B
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Kencot
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
8/233 The Old Rectory
Former rectory, now house. C17 core in south-west corner, extended C18-early C19
and much remodelled 1857 by F.J.H. Francis of London. Coursed rubble limestone
with dressed quoins; stone slate roofs with coped gables and moulded kneelers;
dressed stone chimneys with groups of octagonal shafts. In domestic Tudor style.
2 storeys and attic. South front has 2 C17 bays to left, remodelled gabled cross
wing of later date to right, and taller parallel rear wing. Another wing at
right-angles to rear of left bay. 2-light wooden casements with horizontal
glazing bars, all as remodelled 1857. C17 bays have wooden lintels over left
windows, concrete lintels over right windows, and stone lintels over attic
windows. Attic windows are set in full stone dormers of 1857, with gables.
Ground floor of right bay has C19 half-glazed door set into original opening,
the lower door panels with raised roundels. Chimney to centre of C17 part. Later
cross-wing to right is taller and slightly advanced, and has rectangular bay
window to ground floor, 2 cross windows to first floor, 2-light attic casement,
and cusped triangular tablet in gable. Right side has similar casements, and C19
half-glazed door with arched panels in chamfered stone arch with hoodmould.
Early C19 sashes to rear. Interior of C17 part has fireplace with chamfered
stone jambs and depressed arch, and stop-chamfered spine beam. Included for
Listing NGR: SP2550004923
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings