History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tudor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Clanfield, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7166 / 51°42'59"N

Longitude: -1.5876 / 1°35'15"W

OS Eastings: 428586

OS Northings: 202068

OS Grid: SP285020

Mapcode National: GBR 5V3.7FY

Mapcode Global: VHC0D.F3KW

Entry Name: Tudor House

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 30 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367753

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253753

Location: Clanfield, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Clanfield

Built-Up Area: Clanfield

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Clanfield

Listing Text

CLANFIELD BAMPTON ROAD
SP28102-2902 (North side)
7/7 Tudor House
(Formerly listed as The
12.2.55 Gables)
II

House, latterly divided into cottages, now returned to one house. Circa l600,
extended early C17 and early C18; later additions and alterations. Roughly
coursed limestone rubble with quoins; ashlar to gables; stone slate roof. L-plan
comprising c.1600 range to front (road side) with early C17 and C18 additions at
right-angles to rear on right. One storey and attic to main range, 2 storeys to
C18 part. 3 prominent gables to front have cavetto-moulded 3-light mullion
windows with dripstones, left and right with blind openings to apexes and
possible traces of another to centre. Projecting slate gutters (c. Kelmscott
Manor, q.v. under Kelmscott C.P.) to corners of each gable. Ground floor has
5-light cavetto-moulded mullion windows to left and right and one of 3 lights to
centre, all with dripstones. Integral end stacks, left with dripstone and right
with dripstone and outline of former thatch roof visible. Left gable end has
2-light mullion window with dripstone to attic and infilled square-headed bread
oven arch to ground floor. Range at right-angles to rear on right; early C18
part to left has two C20 casements with wood lintels on first floor and one to
either side of lean-to porch with half-glazed door to left and infilled entrance
with window inserted to right. Integral end stacks, truncated to left. Early C17
part to right has infilled doorway to left with C19 casement inserted and
3-light chamfered wooden mullion window to right. Hip-roofed eaves dormer
between. Interior: ground floor of c.1600 part in process of extensive
renovation at time of resurvey (May 1987) with floor surface and later
partitions removed. Remodelled inglenook fireplace with truncated bread oven to
right. Chamfered cross bean to right with stepped chamfer stops; joists to right
have stepped ogee stops. Next to left is chamfered cross beam with mortices and
stave-holes for studded partition; evidence for doorway to front. This is
followed by another chamfered cross beam with evidence for close-studded
partition and doorway in same position. Deep-chamfered cross bean to left.
Inglenook fireplace to left end wall has stop-chamfered wood lintel and bread
oven (formerly opening from outside) to left; winder staircase to right. Wooden
window seats in splays of left and right windows to front wall. Back wall has
infilled doorway (now with window inserted) opposite centre window to front and
plank door to left with evidence for another former doorway to left. Single-butt
purlin collar truss roof in 5 bays visible in roof space. Left ground-floor room
of C18 part has chamfered spine beam with stepped stops. Inglenook fireplace
with wood lintel and bread oven to right. Ledged plank door to left with H-L
hinges leads to oak winder staircase. Stone-flag floor. Right room has
deep-chamfered spine beam with stepped ogee stops.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p546)
[2297]


Listing NGR: SP2858602068

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.