This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.914 / 51°54'50"N
Longitude: -1.5898 / 1°35'23"W
OS Eastings: 428314
OS Northings: 224020
OS Grid: SP283240
Mapcode National: GBR 5RL.T2C
Mapcode Global: VHBZF.D5F2
Entry Name: Former Village School (Girls) and Church Hall
Listing Date: 15 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367790
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253945
Location: Churchill, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Churchill
Built-Up Area: Churchill (West Oxfordshire) B
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Churchill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
16/55 Former village school (girls)
and Church Hall
Shown on O.S. map as Church Hall and The Lower School House.
School, part latterly used as church hall, part in domestic use. Mid-C19 with
minor later alterations. Roughly and regularly coursed limestone rubble with
alternating angle quoins carried up to gable ends; slate roof with stepped coped
verges on carved stone kneelers. Tudor Gothic style. Centre range with flush
gabled range on left projecting to rear and slightly projecting gabled range to
right. One storey and attic to left and centre ranges, one storey to right. Left
gable has two 2-light mullion windows to ground floor and one with dripstone to
centre above; louvred rectangular slit opening to apex. Centre range has
nail-studded boarded double doors in Tudor-arched surround with hollow
spandrels. Gabled half-dormer with 2-light mullion window directly above. Right
gable has 3-light mullioned and transomed window with dripstone, blank armorial
shield above and louvred rectangular slit opening to apex. Axial ridge stack
with moulded capping to left of centre range and ridge stack to right, both with
moulded capping. Low gabled range with integral end stack attached to rear of
left range. Two schools at Churchill are referred to in mid-C19 trade
directories but it is not clear if either of them was held in this building at
that time. Included for group value.
(Post Office Directory for Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire (1847),
p2166; Gardener's Gazeteer and Directory (1852), p840)
Listing NGR: SP2831424021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings