History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Leigh, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.835 / 51°50'6"N

Longitude: -1.4629 / 1°27'46"W

OS Eastings: 437107

OS Northings: 215292

OS Grid: SP371152

Mapcode National: GBR 6V1.WGZ

Mapcode Global: VHBZW.L4HM

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367959

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252844

Location: North Leigh, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: North Leigh

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wilcote

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Stonesfield

Listing Text

NORTH LEIGH WILCOTE
SP31NE
5/188 Church of St. Peter
12/09/55
GV II*
Church. Late C12 with mid C13 and early C14 alterations; restored 1858 by H.
Woodyer and 1868 by A.W. Blomfield. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate
roof. Nave and chancel. Chancel has small buttresses continued as string
courses. Late C13 three-light trefoil-headed east window restored and enlarged
by Blomfield. C14 Caernarvon-arched doorway to north; mid C13 pointed chamfered
lancet to south. Nave: north porch by Blomfield, and 2-light Curvilinear window
to north; to south is C14 offset buttress, an early C14 two-light Curvilinear
window in blocked C13 archway and a late C12 blocked doorway, with a billeted
and roll-moulded arch set on jamb shafts with cushion capitals. West gable has
C14 offset buttresses, and early C14 two-light Curvilinear windows divided by
central buttress rising to bellcote with cinquefoiled niche. Interior: early C14
trefoiled piscina with credence shell, and plain aumbry in north wall. Mid C13
double-chamfered chancel arch set on head corbels, with squint in south wall.
Mid C19 octagonal font, and mid C19 pulpit and pews. Mid C19 waggon roof to
chancel, and 3-bay arch-braced roof with traceried and foliate-carved spandrels.
C19 memorial tablets. Mid C19 stained glass in east window.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp842-3; Bodleian Library, Topographical
Drawings, for drawings by J.C. Buckler and others; National Monuments Record)


Listing NGR: SP3710715292

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.