This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8106 / 51°48'38"N
Longitude: -1.4877 / 1°29'15"W
OS Eastings: 435412
OS Northings: 212568
OS Grid: SP354125
Mapcode National: GBR 6VD.GP4
Mapcode Global: VHBZW.5RBB
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 29 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367964
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252759
Location: Hailey, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Hailey
Built-Up Area: Hailey
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Witney
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
22/105 Church of St. John The
Church. 1866, by C.C. Rolfe for his father Reverend G.C. Rolfe. Squared and
coursed limestone with ashlar quoins and dressings; stone-coped gabled stone and
artificial slate roof chancel and nave with north aisle under same roof.
Buttressed walls. Two-bay chancel has 3 trefoiled lancets to east, and sexfoiled
round windows to sides. 7-bay north aisle with trefoiled lights and north porch
to west, which has quatrefoil window above roll-moulded pointed-arched doorway.
4-bay south side of nave has 3-light plate-tracery windows with trefoiled
centre-lights. South porch has label mould with bulbous stops over
unusually-stopped double-chamfered archway: roll-moulded south door of 2 orders.
French Gothic north west bell turret has conical roof, trefoiled openings and
red stone shafts with large foliate capitals. West window of 3 graduated
lancets. Interior: arch-braced roofs. In chancel, red stone shafts with large
foliate capitals to rere arches of east window and similar grey shafts on
bulbous corbels supporting roof. Trefoiled reredos with painted tympana and
roundels. Trefoiled piscina, and chamfered arches with red marble shaft to
double sedilia. Roll-moulded chancel arch set on banded grey stone shafts with
foliate capitals. Font, of banded red and buff stone, has similar banded grey
stone shafts and carved symbols of the Evangelists in trefoiled niches. C18
classical font with gadrooned stem. 4-bay north arcade have red stone piers with
white bands, bases and capitals. Font to west, of banded red and white stone,
has quatrefoil section and carved Maltese cross. At west end are painted charity
boards, commemorating charities of Joan Smith, d.1661, and William Wright.
Mid/late C19 iron candelabra with delicate ironwork to stems. Church designed by
C.C. Rolfe when he was 21 and had joined the firm of his uncle, William
Wilkinson, in Witney. An eccentric and exuberant style in Gothic.
(Buildings of England: 0xfordshire, pp628-9)
Listing NGR: SP3541212568
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings