History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Heyford Bridge (That Part in Rousham Civil Parish)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rousham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9195 / 51°55'10"N

Longitude: -1.3063 / 1°18'22"W

OS Eastings: 447802

OS Northings: 224778

OS Grid: SP478247

Mapcode National: GBR 7VM.LJN

Mapcode Global: VHCX1.90RV

Entry Name: Heyford Bridge (That Part in Rousham Civil Parish)

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Last Amended: 29 June 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367979

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252853

Location: Rousham, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Rousham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Rousham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Steeple Aston

Listing Text

ROUSHAM
SP4724
14/197 Heyford Bridge (that part in
27/08/57 Rousham C.P.)
(Formerly listed as Heyford
Bridge (that part in Chipping
Norton R.D.))
GV II*
River bridge. Probably C14, altered C17 and widened C19. Coursed squared
limestone with some ashlar dressings and some brick repair. Western end of
bridge, spanning the main branch of the River Cherwell, has 4 pointed medieval
arches, 2 of which retain chamfered ashlar ribs and have added brick linings,
but the westernmost arch has no ribs and has C19 outer voussoirs, and the next
arch was reduced to half its original span in the C17; between the arches are
shallow buttresses, and on either side of the river are square piers rising from
triangular buttresses. The bridge extends for approximately 190 metres across
the valley, the remainder forming a causeway which has 6 further arches, 2
medieval with chamfered ribs. C19 north face of bridge has corresponding arches
with squared voussoirs, those of the main span springing from low triangular
cutwaters. Both plain parapets have flat stone copings. The bridge was first
recorded in 1255. It forms an important feature in the landscape designed c.1740
by William Kent for Rousham Park.
(Rousham Park is included in the H.B.M.C. Register of Parks and Gardens at Grade
I; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, p182; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p693;
Oxfordshire Museums Information Sheet 17, "Medieval Bridges in Oxfordshire")


Listing NGR: SP4780224778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.