This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8756 / 51°52'32"N
Longitude: -1.3629 / 1°21'46"W
OS Eastings: 443956
OS Northings: 219862
OS Grid: SP439198
Mapcode National: GBR 7W3.B8N
Mapcode Global: VHCX6.B3CZ
Entry Name: Wootton Place and Attached Wall and Stable
Listing Date: 27 August 1957
Last Amended: 29 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252956
Location: Wootton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wootton
Built-Up Area: Wootton (West Oxfordshire)
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wootton, Glympton and Kiddington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WOOTTON CHURCH STREET
SP4319 (East side)
15/301 Wootton Place and attached
27/08/57 wall and stable.
(Formerly listed as Wootton
Vicarage, now house. 1756-64 for John Cary; remodelled and extended c.1842.
Coursed limestone rubble, with ashlar front. Multiple-gabled stone slate roof;
end, ridge and rear lateral stacks of stone ashlar, rebuilt in late C19
engineering brick to left. Double-pile plan, with left side entry. Front in mid
Georgian style. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 4-window range front with
2-storey canted bay windows to outer bays. Six-pane sashes, and central
full-height sash; early C19 conservatory with glazing-bar lights across centre
of front. Raised storey band; moulded cornice; hipped roof dormers to left. Left
side wall has 6-pane and tripartite sashes, and late C18 three-bay Tuscan porch;
French doors, with flanking glazing-bar lights. 6-pane sashes to rear. C18
service range to right of limestone rubble with gabled old tile roof and stone
end stack; similar early C19 range to rear, of 3-window range, has stone ridge
stack, tripartite sash and 3-light casements with glazing bars. Interior:
stone-flagged floors, old plank doors in service range and panelled doors in
panelled reveals; late C18 chimney pieces, including fine c.1800 example with
Egyptian-style carved heads in room to right. Rooms to left and right have late
C19 Morris and Co. green and rose coloured wallpaper. Long hall runs laterally
across house, from entry on left, to fine dog-leg staircase with turned
balusters and ramped balusters with fluted newels and first-floor balcony
balustrade with dog-gate. First floor only partially inspected. Subsidiary
features; stable and outhouse to right, with Welsh slate and C20 tile roofs,
have latticed window and plank doors to rear, and 2-bay stalls with mangers
inside. Wall, of limestone rubble with tile ridge on stone slate coping, extends
approximately 4 metres to right.
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p281)
Listing NGR: SP4395619862
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings