History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The White House

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8485 / 51°50'54"N

Longitude: -1.3572 / 1°21'25"W

OS Eastings: 444375

OS Northings: 216847

OS Grid: SP443168

Mapcode National: GBR 7WH.5P7

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.FSCV

Entry Name: The White House

Listing Date: 22 September 1975

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368015

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253073

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock (West Oxfordshire) B

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOODSTOCK HARRISON'S LANE
SP4416NW (North side)
9/82 Nos.2 (The White House)
22/09/75 (Formerly listed as The White
Houses)
GV II
House, now 2 dwellings. c.1770; refronted and bay to right added c.1800;
sub-divided in 1980. Staggered Flemish bond brick with stone storey bands.
Gabled concrete tile roof; brick end and ridge stacks. Central-staircase plan,
of 5 units, extended to 6-unit plan. 3 storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-extended
to 6-window range. Keyed stone archway set under stone steps with wrought-iron
balustrades to first-floor principle doorway: gauged brick semi-circular arch
over mid C19 six-panelled (4 glazed) door with fanlight. Gauged brick flat arch
over 6-pane sash above. Central bay flanked by 2-storey canted bay windows, with
flat brick arches over tripartite sashes and moulded stone cornices. Bay with
lean-to roof to left has 2 round windows with raised stone architraves; similar
windows in bay to right, which has late C19 four-panelled (2 glazed) door.
c.1800 bay to far right has 2-storey canted bay window with tripartite sashes
and moulded stone cornice. 3 hipped dormers. C20 extension to left. Rendered
rear wall with later C18 jettied first-floor. Interior: late C18 and C19
panelled doors. Early C19 fireplace with reeded architrave and paterae to left;
late C18 fireplace to left; late C18 fireplace to right has fluted Ionic engaged
columns and fretted frieze. Butt-purlin roof. No.2 to left has similar
fireplaces and doors, late C18 linen cupboard, and open fireplace with arched
and keyed architrave and spit racks in basement. Owned by John Harrison, three
times Mayor of Woodstock, from 1817.
(Information from VCH)


Listing NGR: SP4437516847

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.