History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chadlington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8958 / 51°53'45"N

Longitude: -1.5165 / 1°30'59"W

OS Eastings: 433367

OS Northings: 222032

OS Grid: SP333220

Mapcode National: GBR 6TD.1FQ

Mapcode Global: VHBZG.NMN0

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 30 August 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368037

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253194

Location: Chadlington, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Chadlington

Built-Up Area: Chadlington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chadlington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chadlington

Listing Text

SP32SW CHADLINGTON EASTEND
(South side)
7/13 Church of St. Nicholas
27/08/57

GV II*

Church. Late C12 (and possibly earlier), C13 and C15; restored and chancel
rebuilt 1870 by Charles Buckeridge. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings; sheet-metal and Stonesfield-slate roofs. Chancel, nave, south vestry,
north transept, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. C19
steep-roofed chancel in Decorated style has a 3-light east window with
reticulated tracery, and two 2-light windows to north, all with carved head
stops. Vestry to south has a re-used 3-light east window with Perpendicular
tracery and a square-headed window facing south. To right of porch, south aisle
has two double lancets with trefoil heads and deeply-cut moulding; the
westernmost is probably C19; to left of the porch is a plain C13 double lancet.
C15 porch has a moulded outer arch and shelters the restored late-C12 south
doorway with a round arch of 3 chamfered orders on jambs of a detached shaft
flanked by attached shafts, all with moulded capitals. Both aisles have small
lancets at the west end. North aisle has 2 tall square-headed 2-light windows
with Perpendicular tracery within casement mouldings, which flank the
contemporary doorway with recessed ornamented spandrels under a label mould.
Tall late-C14 transept has a 4-light early-Perpendicular window to east and a
3-light window to north, both with transoms in the tracery. C15 clerestory has
square-headed traceried windows of 2 and 3 lights with large carved head stops.
Deep C15 parapets to nave, aisles and transept also have carved heads and
gargoyles including a fine "green man". 2 lower stages of the unbuttressed tower
may be contemporary with the late-C12/early-C13 third stage which has pairs of
trefoil-headed openings under crude labels, but they could be earlier; second
stage has a round-headed lancet, but 2-light west window is C14. C15 top stage
has 2-light traceried bell-chamber openings, and carries a crenellated parapet
with crocketed corner pinnacles and gargoyles. Interior: C19 chancel has a
double sedilia and piscina to south with cinquefoiled arches. Chancel arch and
the low arch leading to the transept are C15, but the remains of a Romanesque
window survive above the latter, and the arch incorporates C13 shafts with
moulded bases and capitals. 4-bay south arcade and remaining 3 bays of north
arcade arm C13, with circular columns, moulded capitals and arches of 2
chamfered orders. Both arcades clasp the tower which has a plain arch of 2
continuous orders. Both aisles have C15 piscinae. C15-style nave roof has
traceried kingpost trusses, and rises from carved corbels. Other roofs are
plainer and date from C19. Fittings are C19, except for a C17 communion table
with baluster legs, and a chest with arcaded front. C19 stained glass in
chancel; early-C20 glass in transept. Monuments include a tablet flanked by
scrolls and cherub, bearing an armorial cartouche between flaming urns, which
commemorates Joseph Rollinson (d.1699), and a marble wall monument by Ricketts
of Gloucester to Sir William and Lady Catherine Osbaldeston (d.1740) and 1737)
with an urn and serpent against a black obelisk.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp524/5)


Listing NGR: SP3336722032

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.