This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8881 / 51°53'17"N
Longitude: -1.5309 / 1°31'51"W
OS Eastings: 432381
OS Northings: 221165
OS Grid: SP323211
Mapcode National: GBR 6TC.PR1
Mapcode Global: VHBZG.FS1Y
Entry Name: Lower Court Farmhouse
Listing Date: 30 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253200
Location: Chadlington, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Chadlington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chadlington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Lower Court Farmhouse
Manor house. Probably c.1700 for the Osbaldeston family, altered mid/late C18,
possibly for the Baynton family, and re-modelled C19. Coursed limestone rubble
with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roofs with ashlar gable stacks.
Double-depth plan. 2 storeys plus attic. Former symmetrical 5-window front has
been altered to a 3-window arrangement by blocking the outer pairs of openings
and inserting between them windows of similar proportion; all have tall C19
casements below stone lintels but the original rubble flat arches survive. The
fine original stone doorcase, enclosing a 6-panel door with overlight, has a
segmental-arched inner architrave with a projecting keyblock, set between
panelled pilasters which support a large segmental pediment. A "Sun" insurance
plaque is set within the tympanum. Rear has a similarly-altered arrangement of
windows with a plain doorway. Steep-pitched double-span roof has paired stacks
with plinths and moulded caps, and has 3 roof dormers each side. A T-shaped
single-storey service range extends from the right and forwards. Interior:
original features include heavy cornices and some bolection-mould panelled
doors, the bolection-mould dado and architraves of the entrance hall, a
chimneypiece with full-height fluted pilasters and a Doric entablature, and a
fine oak open-well stair, rising to the attics, with a closed string, heavy
barleytwist balusters and a square handrail with a moulded capping.
Fielded-panelled doors and dados are probably mid/late C18; the elaborate
Rococo-style ceiling and pelmets of the rear drawing room may be early C19,
although the 2 fine Adam-stlye doorcases with mahogany panelled doors could be
earlier. 2 plain early-C18 fireplaces survive, one with a re-used C17 carved-oak
overmantel incorporating a fine cartouche of arms. Sir William Osbaldeston,
Bart, was High Sheriff in 1710 and Stuckley Baynton High Sheriff in 1768.
Formerly the manor house of Chadlington West.
(The Hon. T.G. Roche: Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church: 1971, p5)
Listing NGR: SP3238121165
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings