History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectorial Tithe Barn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Enstone, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9232 / 51°55'23"N

Longitude: -1.451 / 1°27'3"W

OS Eastings: 437853

OS Northings: 225106

OS Grid: SP378251

Mapcode National: GBR 6T3.612

Mapcode Global: VHBZ9.SXSK

Entry Name: Rectorial Tithe Barn

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Last Amended: 30 August 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368063

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253232

Location: Enstone, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Enstone

Built-Up Area: Enstone

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Enstone

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Tew

Listing Text

ENSTONE CHURCH STREET
SP3625-3725 (North side)
Church Enstone
14/51 Rectorial Tithe Barn
27/08/57 (Formerly listed as Barn at
Rectory Farm)

GV II*

Tithe barn. 1382 for Walter de Wynforton, Abbot of Winchcombe; probably partly
rebuilt. Limestone rubble with marlstone-ashlar dressings; stone-slate roof.
6-bay plan with a porch to bay 3 and opposed double doors. Bays are defined by
ashlar buttresses, rising from chamfered plinths, and some areas of walling
retain plinths; further buttresses flank main doors of hipped-roofed porch.
Right end wall has some triangular vents; left end wall has a central buttress,
a horizontal ashlar weathering, a gable slit and a stone parapet. Side door to
porch has chamfered jambs and may have been arched. Re-set datestone in bay one
is flanked by carved heads and has a 4-line Latin inscription containing the
date 1382. Interior: heavy elbowed cruck blades, springing approximately 1.5
metres above the floor, are each linked by 2 collars and an apex yoke; 2 rows of
trenched purlins, ridge piece and rafters are mostly C20. Porch has 2 tiebeam
trusses with apex yokes. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p594; R.Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic
Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963: pp15-19)


Listing NGR: SP3785325106

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.