History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Almshouses and Attached Walls and Gate

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6452 / 51°38'42"N

Longitude: -1.2721 / 1°16'19"W

OS Eastings: 450464

OS Northings: 194296

OS Grid: SU504942

Mapcode National: GBR 7YY.WRD

Mapcode Global: VHCY6.WXW5

Entry Name: The Almshouses and Attached Walls and Gate

Listing Date: 19 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251416

Location: Sutton Courtenay, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Sutton Courtenay

Built-Up Area: Sutton Courtenay

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Courtenay

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Culham

Listing Text

SUTTON COURTENAY CHURCH STREET
SU5094 (West side)
7/100 The Almshouses and attached
walls and gate

GV II

Almshouses. Dated 1820 to inscribed panel. Red brick plinth; grey brick with red
brick dressings; slate hipped roof with lead ridges; brick ridge stacks to left,
centre and right. Single-storey, 13-bay range. Round-arched recess to centre,
having keystone and stone impost blocks. Plank door to left, and 2 plank doors
to right of centre, all with flat brick arches having keystones. 16-pane
unhorned sashes to all openings, having flat brick arches with keystones. Shaped
parapet to centre 3 bays, with central plaque having pediment gables and
flanking urns. Interiors not inspected. Attached brick wall to left, and stone
coursed rubble walls to front, with brick wall to right form courtyard with
wrought-iron central gate with wrought iron overthrow and grey brick with red
brick dressings piers. History: the inscribed panel reads "These cottages were
erected Anno Domini 1820, pursuant to the will of Francis Elderfield Esq., late
of this parish, who endowed the same for ever for the maintenance of six poor
windows, parishioners of Sutton Courtney (sic)".


Listing NGR: SU5046494296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.