History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse and Attahced Brewhouse Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Appleford-on-Thames, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6398 / 51°38'23"N

Longitude: -1.2369 / 1°14'12"W

OS Eastings: 452906

OS Northings: 193717

OS Grid: SU529937

Mapcode National: GBR 90J.043

Mapcode Global: VHCYF.H1ZS

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse and Attahced Brewhouse Range

Listing Date: 19 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251306

Location: Appleford-on-Thames, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Appleford-on-Thames

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Appleford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Long Wittenham

Listing Text

APFLEFORD CHURCH STREET
SU5293 (North side)
10/3 Manor Farahouse and attached
brewhDuse range

GV II

Farmhouse. Circa 1600, two-unit range, now forming cross-wing to left: addition
of circa l650 to end at rear; c.1840 main range. Red brick with flared headers
in Flemish bond, having fragments of large timber-framing with brick infill to
end if cross-wing to left; complex old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks.
Complex plan, originally 2-unit plan, with later additions. 2-storey, 2-bay main
range with 2-storey, cross-wing to left. 6-panel door to right with flat hood on
brackets. Irregular fenestration, having unhorned sashes with glazing bars to
main range, and casements to cross-wing. Interior: early C18 dog-leg staircase
with Flood baluster balustrade and moulded wood handrail to rear of cross-wing.
Cl9 winder staircase at junction of main fringe to cross-wing. Queen-post roofs
to original range and to c,1650 addition. Subsidiary brewhouse range, part now
forming utility rooms to farmhouse. Circa 1700, with mid C18 addition to front
right, possibly incorporating earlier structure. Uncoursed stone rubble with
brick dressings to main range; grey brick with red brick dressings; old
plain-tile roof. L-shaped plan. Single-storey-and-attic 2-bay range. C20
fenestration to main range. Interior: Queen-post roof to mid C18 addition, and
large open fireplace.


Listing NGR: SU5290693717

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.