This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6697 / 51°40'10"N
Longitude: -1.6499 / 1°38'59"W
OS Eastings: 424306
OS Northings: 196829
OS Grid: SU243968
Mapcode National: GBR 5VL.9P8
Mapcode Global: VHC0K.C93B
Entry Name: Buscot Park
Listing Date: 10 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251481
Location: Buscot, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Buscot
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Buscot
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU29NW Buscot Park
Country house. Built about 1780 for Edward Loveden Townsend, altered in the
1860s, altered and extended in 1889 and finally reduced in size and given E
and W Pavilions (q.v.) in 1934-6. No architects are recorded for the first
2 phases of building, but the 1889 extensions were made by Sir Ernest George
whose partner, Harold Peto, was landscaping the grounds at that time, and
the final phase of reconstruction was directed by Geddes Hyslop. This
reinstated the restrained classical lines of the original 1780 design.
Finely jointed ashlar, rusticated base, dentil cornice and a hipped slate
roof with E and W and ridge stone stacks. 3 storeys and attic, 9 bays. S
front of 9 bays with 2 dormers. The 3 centre bays have slight projection
and a pediment with carved floral enrichment, a wide flight of steps to
central glazed doors with cornice head at first floor level. Modern sashes
and blind boxes to all windows. The N front has 3 central bays flanked by
segmental bows of 3 windows each the whole height of the building. 7 dormer
windows. E and W fronts have 3 bay projections and pediments with
lunettes. The interiors were all redesigned and redecorated in the 1934-6
reconstruction in a mixed neo-Classical manner incorporating wine very fine
original C18 chimney-pieces. A series of paintings entitled 'the Briar
Rose' by Edward Burne Jones that were acquired for the Drawing Room by
Alexander Henderson in 1890 were installed under the artist's direction and
in specially designed frames in the Saloon where they still hang. Country
Life, 18, 25 May 1940; National Trust Guidebook to Buscot Park.
Listing NGR: SU2430696829
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings