History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9419 / 51°56'30"N

Longitude: -1.5488 / 1°32'55"W

OS Eastings: 431113

OS Northings: 227143

OS Grid: SP311271

Mapcode National: GBR 5RF.C6P

Mapcode Global: VHBZ8.3GK5

Entry Name: Baptist Church

Listing Date: 20 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368132

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251674

Location: Chipping Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Chipping Norton

Built-Up Area: Chipping Norton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Norton with Over Norton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text

CHIPPING NORTON NEW STREET
SP 3027-3127
(north side)
3/63
- Baptist Church
GV
II
Non-Conformist Church. Established 1733, enlarged in 1816, further enlarged
c1820s and given a new porch in 1863 by Gibbs, Thomson and Colbourne. Coursed
and squared rubble stone, stone dressings and copings, ashlar to roadside facade
with a gabled slate roof. The original (1816) building now serves as a hall and
is to the rear of the c1820s Gothic style church with its later porch. The 1816
block is of 2 storeys, 4 bays with a Regency doorcase with spoked semicircular
fanlight and octagonal plaque above. The 1820s extension has a roadside front
of a gable end with corner octagonal pinnacles and plain 3-light lancets with
above, a rose window. The lean-to porch of 1863 has 3 arches with good stiff
leaf capitals to the columns. The churchyard has a number of memorials including
chest tombs of which the 2 best are to Jabez Kimber (died 1826) and Joseph Hansom
(died 1822) q.v.

Listing NGR: SP3111327143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.