History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ascott-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8657 / 51°51'56"N

Longitude: -1.5649 / 1°33'53"W

OS Eastings: 430058

OS Northings: 218658

OS Grid: SP300186

Mapcode National: GBR 5S6.TDT

Mapcode Global: VHBZM.TCLL

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 27 August 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368158

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251713

Location: Ascott-under-Wychwood, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Ascott-under-Wychwood

Built-Up Area: Ascott-under-Wychwood

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ascott-under-Wychwood

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Ascot under Wychwood

Listing Text

ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD ASCOTT D'OYLEY
SP 31 NW
4/2 Church of the Holy Trinity
27.8.56
GV
II*
Parish Church. Late C12, altered C14 and restored 1857 by Street. Built of rubble
with Cotswold stone roofs. Two-bay chancel, 3-bay nave with low north aisle,
3 stage west tower with plain parapet. Gabled south porch and south transept;
vestry to north-east (1857-9). Two lower stages of tower and the side windows of
chancel are circa 1200 lancets, latter in wide reveals, nave and north transept
probably of the same period but with C14 windows of ogee pattern, a north door of
that period in the aisle and a late C14 stepped 3-light lancet with cusped heads and
nave (restored). Reticulated east window (possibly by Street). Paired C15 lancets
to upper stages of tower and crenellation. Square-headed 2-light windows with
stilted-arch lights to east and south walls of south transept. The south porch has
Norman impost capitals and a chamfered archway with pyramidal steps; inner arch of
early C13. Wooden priest's door with shouldered lintel.
Interior: 4-bay late C12 arcade, one capital with scallops, 2 square piers, labels
with pyramidal stops. Chancel arch and arch to south chapel double chamfered and
with moulded caps - probably early C13. The best feature is the triple sedilia with
foiled head arcade to front part (also to be seen at Shipton and at Idbury - latter
so similar as to suggest the same masons). C15 pillar piscina. C17 communion table
(north aisle). Font octagonal C15 chalice type. Furnishings, and nave and chancel
roofs by Street. A few low late mediaeval pews survive.


Listing NGR: SP3005818658

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.