History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Tew, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9541 / 51°57'14"N

Longitude: -1.442 / 1°26'31"W

OS Eastings: 438446

OS Northings: 228546

OS Grid: SP384285

Mapcode National: GBR 6SQ.G81

Mapcode Global: VHBZ9.Y4KT

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368194

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251908

Location: Little Tew, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Little Tew

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Tew

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Swerford

Listing Text

LITTLE TEW
SP3828
11/96 Church of St. John the
Evangelist
GV II
Church. 1853 by G.E Street; north aisle and tower 1869 by Charles Buckeridge.
Limestone ashlar; artificial stone-slate roofs. Nave, chancel, 2-bay north
aisle, north-west tower, and north-east vestry. Early English and Decorated
styles. Chancel has shallow buttresses, a 5-light traceried east window and a
2-light traceried window to south. Nave has groups of cusped lancets and, to
west, has 3 lancets below a sexfoiled circle. North aisle has paired lancets,
and north gable wall of Street's vestry has a shouldered-arched doorway below a
2-light traceried window with 2 triangular-headed lights below a sexfoiled
circle. 3-stage tower contains the main doorway, with 2 pairs of shafts and an
outer roll moulding, and has a saddle-back roof with large traceried 3-light
bell-chamber openings in the gable ends, lancets in the sides, and a band of
quatrefoil openings below. Interior: chancel is defined by the change from an
arch-braced collar-truss roof to a 7-canted coupled-rafter roof. North arcade
has a quatrefoil pier and composite responds. C19 fittings include brass
communion rails and a low chancel screen with wrought-iron cresting. Stained
glass in east window (c.1872) and 2 south windows (c,1856 and c.1859).
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.257; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.690).


Listing NGR: SP3844628546

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.