History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Britius

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brize Norton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7663 / 51°45'58"N

Longitude: -1.5667 / 1°34'0"W

OS Eastings: 429996

OS Northings: 207596

OS Grid: SP299075

Mapcode National: GBR 5TK.6Q2

Mapcode Global: VHC00.SVLW

Entry Name: Church of St Britius

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368227

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252112

Location: Brize Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Brize Norton

Built-Up Area: Brize Norton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Brize Norton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Carterton

Listing Text

BRIZE NORTON STATION ROAD
SP20NE, SP3007 (West side)
5/40, 17/40 Church of St. Britius
12/09/55

GV II*

Church. Late C12; early C13 north aisle and chapel, and late C13 west tower;
restored in 1868 by G.E. Street. Walls, mostly replaced by Street, of coursed
limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof. Chancel, nave with north aisle and
chapel, and west tower. Geometrical 3-light east window, to south of similar mid
C19 window. 4-bay north wall has, from east, a Norman window, early C14
three-light window, early C13 lancet flanked by worn corbel heads, early C13
pointed chamfered doorway with hood and another early C14 three-light window:
early C14 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. South side of chancel
has plain Norman doorway with chamfered hood flanked by mid C19 three-light
C13-style window and plain C14 transomed window in blocked C13 opening (C13
rere-arch). Nave has early C13 lancet and mid C19 lancet window flanking late
C12 Transitional south porch with round double-chamfered arch on shafts with
moulded capitals. Fine late C12 Norman south door: arch has roll moulding and 3
bands of chevron decoration, the outer one carried on shafts with cushion
capitals - one with carving of 2 birds; the tympanum has a symbol of the Tree of
Life carved in the centre of a chequer pattern. Mid/late C13 three-stage tower
with string courses: has lancets and 2 corbels to left; 2-light belfry openings
of plate tracery; corbel table of stars and carved heads has billet decoration
also. Nave roof has sanctus bellcote. Interior: C13 cusped rere-arch over
south-east window, sill of which is dropped to form sedilia with carved stone
arm-rests. On north wall of chancel is part of Norman string course and 2 paired
blocked Norman windows under dogtooth-carved hood; early C13 double-chamfered
pointed arch to north-east chapel. C13 double-chamfered chancel arch with head
corbels. C15 rood screen, with moulded nuntins and traceried heads to open
panels, has mid C19 brattished cornice and painted decoration. Nave has painted
mid C19 pulpit and lectern; late C12 Norman font with blind arcading and
laid/late C19 base; late C13 hollow-chamfered archway to tower; early C13
four-bay north arcade has double-chamfered arches set on heavy round piers with
moulded capitals and square bases. Mid C19 roofs and fittings. Monuments: C17
and early C18 ledger stones in chancel. In north-east chapel is shallow arch
over stone effigy of knight John Daubyngy, d.1346, in a sunken tomb: carved head
and shoulders, and crossed feet, are sunk into tomb with shield and crest set
over solid stone "blanket" in middle. This is the only church in England
dedicated to St. Britius, a C5 French saint.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.487-8; Bodleian Library, Topographical
Drawings, has many C19 views of church including exterior and interior drawings
of 1821 by J.C. Buckler (M.S. Top. Oxon; National Monuments Record).


Listing NGR: SP2999607596

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.