History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yelford Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hardwick-with-Yelford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7402 / 51°44'24"N

Longitude: -1.4805 / 1°28'49"W

OS Eastings: 435966

OS Northings: 204743

OS Grid: SP359047

Mapcode National: GBR 6W5.Y85

Mapcode Global: VHC08.9J58

Entry Name: Yelford Manor

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 17 October 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368241

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252289

Location: Hardwick-with-Yelford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Hardwick-with-Yelford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Yelford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text

HARDWICK WITH YELFORD YELFORD
SP30SE
10/205 Yelford Manor
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Manor
House

GV II*

Manor house, now house. Late C15 for the Hastings family; early C17 and C18
alterations. Timber-framed, of close studding; clad in C18 limestone rubble on
right side and to rear right. Gabled stone slate roof; stone stack finished in
C20 brick to left, and stone right end stack; large stone rear lateral stack
with 3 ashlar octagonal flues. 2-storey hall range and cross wings. 2 storeys;
5-window range. Hall range: C20 door to left set in restored C20 frame; bay
window above has early C17 ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned lights, and gablet with
bargeboard; 4-light chamfered wood-mullioned window above early C18 four-light
transomed window to right; 2-storey polygonal oriel in right bay of hall range
has hollow-chamfered wood-mullioned windows (originally transomed on ground
floor) and herringbone timbers in gablet. Jettied gable ends of side wings: C18
three-light leaded casement above C18 four-light mullioned and transomed window
with shutters to right; restored 3-light wood-mullioned window above 5-light
wood-mullioned window with leaded and lattice cames to left. 3-light
wood-mullioned window to left side wall and 2 similar 2-light windows above
altered 3-light window to rear of left wing. 2-bay stair turret adjoins rear
left wing. C18 L-shaped service range to rear, remodelled in mid C19: of
limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and gabled stone slate roof. Interior:
studded partitions divide all rooms. Hall has C20 arch to open fireplace with
moulded jambs; chamfered beam; screens passage has studded partition with 2
early C17 moulded doorways and studded door to left, and late C15 chamfered
panelled screen to right, and chamfered arched doorway to rear. C20 winder
stairs rise to first-floor gallery with arched hollow-chamfered doorways, one
with Hastings monogram in spandrel; first floor of hall has cornice of late C15
fireplace to rear; 3-bay hall roof has 3 collar trusses, and an arch-braced
collar-truss with arched windbraces and butt purlins, repaired with C17 brace.
Service wing to left has 2 rooms with chamfered beam on ground floor, chamfered
arched fireplace on first floor, and 4-bay collar-truss roof with arched
windbraces and butt purlins. Parlour wing to right has similar 3-bay roof; early
C17 panelled ground-floor room has Ionic pilaster, and an elaborately-carved
overmantle with 3 blind arches divided by caryatids and a frieze of dragons with
the arms of John Hastings and Mary Pudsey (married 1619). Stair-turret has
queen-post truss. Many timbers have late C16 banded red and gold decoration - as
at Church Farmhouse, South Leigh (q.v.). The first-floor hall fireplace,
2-storey oriel and indications of a blocked C15 first-floor window suggest that
Yelford Manor originally had a 2-storey hall: the hall and side wings are not
linked structurally and were probably built in stages.
(National Monuments Record; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.869;
Oxfordshire Museum, Woodstock, PRN 11977 for drawings; Bodleian Library, Oxford,
S.A. Eccles, Top, E,10, J.28 for 1895 photograph).


Listing NGR: SP3596604743

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.