History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Hardwick-with-Yelford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7521 / 51°45'7"N

Longitude: -1.4524 / 1°27'8"W

OS Eastings: 437895

OS Northings: 206077

OS Grid: SP378060

Mapcode National: GBR 6W6.5L4

Mapcode Global: VHC08.S705

Entry Name: The Mill

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 17 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252276

Location: Hardwick-with-Yelford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Hardwick-with-Yelford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Duklington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Witney

Listing Text

HARDWICK WITH YELFORD HARDWICK
SP3706
19/192 The Mill
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Hardwick
Mill Farmhouse)

GV II

Mill and millhouse. Millhouse is mid C18 with early C17 rear wing. Limestone,
squared and coursed to front and rest of coursed rubble; rear wing originally
timber-framed. Gabled roof with stone slates to front and concrete tiles to
rear; symmetrical end stacks of stone finished in brick. L-plan with rear right
wing. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 3-window range. Timber lintel over C19
six-panelled door with overlight. Chamfered timber lintels over 6-pane sashes; 2
gabled roof dormers with C19 two-light casements. Rear wing, of 3-window range,
has chamfered timber lintels over C20 casements and bracketed flat hood over C19
plank door. Interior: chamfered bressumer over open fireplace to left.
Butt-purlin roof. Rear wing has large stone lintels over open fireplace;
stop-chamfered and quartered beams and wall plates of original early C17
timber-framed house. Subsidiary features: mill to rear: mid C18 with possible
medieval origins, of coursed limestone rubble with gabled concrete tile roof; of
2 storeys, with C20 loft door, timber lintel over C20 plank door to rear, early
C19 brick infill to central bay and simple C14/C15 pointed chamfered stone
doorway to front. Interior: 3-bay butt-purlin roof (purlins removed); some
machinery and two C18 grain hoppers set on barrels with turned balusters to
rear.
(Bodleian Library, M.S. Top, Oxon, d.271, f.32, for drawing of 1838).


Listing NGR: SP3789506077

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.